• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax Investigations....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Investigations....

Anyone know of this happening to them or a friend ? was talking to a mate last night and as the result of an investigation he has just got a whopping tax bill in for 28k, of which he doesnt have. This is extra to what he has already paid. He is a plumber.

Also know of a woman who is a hairdresser and had been investigated and got landed with an 8k bill on top.

When I last spoke to my accountant he said the IR had been told (by the terrorsist goverment) to try and squeeze as much money out of businessses as possible by doing investigations, as they cant be seen to be blatently putting up taxes as it's not a popular vote winner.

This is quite normal, if you get selected for investigation each little mistake is subject to a minimum £1000 penalty (or something like that), for example a receipt that can't be justified etc.

The key is to have an accountant to do this for you. I think you'll find that the IR won't investigate if you have a reputable accountant doing your tax for you. Trouble is most people think its easy and then f** their tax return up.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

but it's so over complicated even t he accountants are making mistakes. !

Comment

Only know of one consultant who was investigated, he actually calimed the inspector was very helpful!! He pointed out a couple of areas where he wasn't claiming full entitlement, and also some grey areas that he might want to reconsider claiming for but overall was cleared.

Suppose it depends if you are playing within the rules or taking the p#ss as to any potential whopping tax bills.

Comment

Originally posted by Andyw
          ... was talking to a mate last night
          Yeah, yeah, yeah. You have a mate. Does he know Drop Dead Fred?

.. as the result of an investigation he has just got a whopping tax bill in for 28k, of which he doesnt have.
          Amateurs!

When I last spoke to my accountant he said the IR had been told (by the terrorsist goverment) to try and squeeze as much money out of businessses as possible by doing investigations, as they cant be seen to be blatently putting up taxes as it's not a popular vote winner.
          Doesn't surprise me.
          Blair, you cannot reach me now,
          No matter how you try,
          Goodbye cruel Labour,
          Your end is nigh.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day

Comment

CP when you first came on this forum you were quite witty, now you have become an annoying troll ! time you went back to the caymens.....

Comment

And what do you owe the tax man then Mr Tax Exile big shot ?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
                This is quite normal, if you get selected for investigation each little mistake is subject to a minimum £1000 penalty (or something like that), for example a receipt that can't be justified etc.
                Surely this is not true - I thought there was a law which would basically state that pretty much only unpaid tax (if any) can be levied plus some extra fine on top, but nothing unreasonable, ie not £1000 fine for £100 unpaid tax.

Comment

Next flight is at 09:50 - BA 253 - Gonna buy me a ticket? There is a sale on!
                  Blair, you cannot reach me now,
                  No matter how you try,
                  Goodbye cruel Labour,
                  Your end is nigh.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day

Comment

If he was a plumber and got done for 28k he is either flush and hasn't bothered paying his tax and can afford it or is very very stupid and didn't take enough untraceable cash in hand

Comment

Working...
                    X