• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Member Voluntary Liquidation Costs and Timescale

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Member Voluntary Liquidation Costs and Timescale

Hi, I'm considering shutting my company down as I've been in business almost 10yrs have a fair amount locked in the company and I plan to take an extended break.

I've done a bit of reading around the forum and discovered that Liquidation is probably the way to go ahead and hopefully I will only take a 10% hit.

Before I go ahead with this I'd like some feedback on what is considered to be a reasonable charge to handle the liquidation and also from the start to finish how long it normally takes.

Also if in future I wish to start a company again which may well be another IT company does the fact that my previous company went in to liquidation have any bearing on matters.

Thanks in advance
    When a man says his word is as good as his bond take his bond.

MVLOnline if you have a straightforward company structure.

Probably around £2k to £3k.

6 to 9 months.

Comment

Liquidating shouldn't cause any future issues.

There is legislation (transactions in securities) HMRC can use if they think somebody is simply closing down one company, extracting all the cash at relatively low tax rates and then shifting all remaining assets (particularly goodwill and existing trade) to a newly formed company just to continue trading (often called phoenixing although I'm pretty sure HMRC use that term to refer to something else).

However this shouldn't normally apply if you are genuinely cease trading and taking a break (or going back to a permie job). So I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless having done the liquidation you have a change of heart and want to start up straight away again in which case it might be prudent to get professional advice.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

6 to 9 months.
        Wow 6 to 9 months ! I was thinking it would take 6-8 weeks .... blimey

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          Liquidating shouldn't cause any future issues.

There is legislation (transactions in securities) HMRC can use if they think somebody is simply closing down one company, extracting all the cash at relatively low tax rates and then shifting all remaining assets (particularly goodwill and existing trade) to a newly formed company just to continue trading (often called phoenixing although I'm pretty sure HMRC use that term to refer to something else).

However this shouldn't normally apply if you are genuinely cease trading and taking a break (or going back to a permie job). So I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless having done the liquidation you have a change of heart and want to start up straight away again in which case it might be prudent to get professional advice.
          Yes just looking to take a break and get the cash out of the company for use elsewhere, none business related. However after finding it takes 6-9 months to close the company my idea of using the money elsewhere might have hit its first brick wall

Comment

Originally posted by swebb View Post
            Hi, I'm considering shutting my company down as I've been in business almost 10yrs have a fair amount locked in the company and I plan to take an extended break.

I've done a bit of reading around the forum and discovered that Liquidation is probably the way to go ahead and hopefully I will only take a 10% hit.

Before I go ahead with this I'd like some feedback on what is considered to be a reasonable charge to handle the liquidation and also from the start to finish how long it normally takes.

Also if in future I wish to start a company again which may well be another IT company does the fact that my previous company went in to liquidation have any bearing on matters.

Thanks in advance
            I've seen this done for around £3k-£4k within 2 months.

If you are going permie, retiring, or are starting up a business in an entirely new sector I can't see a problem claiming ER.

If you are not going to genuinely cease with your trading activities, i.e. are going to start the same process all over again after a break, your claim could easily be blocked if HMRC bother to look into your affairs.

Comment

Wow 6 to 9 months ! I was thinking it would take 6-8 weeks .... blimey
              Google liquidators and call a few, I don't think it will take 9 months!

circa 8 weeks in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

6 to 9 months.
                Disclosure - I own 50% of MVL Online Ltd.

Cost all in (inc VAT) will be more like £1,600-1,800 through us, exact amount depends upon net assets.

Timescale we tend to quote an estimate of 1 month until you get 75% of your funds, then another 2-3 months (ie 3-4 months total) until we have all we need from HMRC to close down and pay out the balance. Unfortunately these timescales are both heavily outside our control, the first depending upon your bank, the second upon HMRC.

As Cycling guy says, bear transactions in securities in mind. I think realistically it would only bite if someone started up a new company before the other one was liquidated, so there was no clear break in trade. Liquidating a company certainly doesn't mean you can never run another company, you just might (worst case scenario) lose the tax benefits if you started up again doing exactly the same thing straight away.

Comment

The transactions in securities rules have not been tested in court in this type of scenario, so their interpretation is still unclear. The intention of the legislation is to prevent you from obtaining a tax advantage as a result of closing and re-opening – the length of time between closing and re-opening (and what the person did, or intended to do during that period) has been discussed here numerous times, but that is simply peoples opinion and not necessarily what HMRC would see as being reasonable.

What is known is that we don’t know how the rules will be interpreted, but if you are only taking a break from contracting (and will return in the future) then these rules are certainly something that you should pay attention to. Do your research, ask your accountant and make a decision from there about how to proceed.

I hope this helps!
                  Craig

Comment

Having recently completed the process with MVLOnline, I highly recommend them. They made the process straightforward, emails were always answered promptly with detail responses.

You get the first payment relatively quickly and then have to wait for the second final payment. MVLOnline kept me up to date on the progress of the liquidation throughout the process.

Comment

Working...
                    X