• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you leave a contract early ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you leave a contract early ?

Ok...here's the situation.

The contract being offered is "sort of 3 months to sort of 6 months", sort of.

That doesn't really help, since I may have another role coming up in 4 months.

If this current contract was 3 months, then fine...month in the private villa with the girls in Hawaii.

What concerns me, is that they'll nail it down to 4 months or more, and then the other contract comes up and I miss the boat.

Is there a way to jump ship in these circumstances ?

The current contract is just a support role, and there are plenty of warm bodies to fill it if I left...they'd have someone within a day I reckon.

I've never been in this position before, and wouldn't normally consider the practice, but as I've got older and more cynical, I've realised that only one person really counts in all of this and that's me and my family.

Should I just tell the agent that I've got something in the pipeline, so he will understand and appreciate my honesty and cater for my needs accordingly, or am I being hopelessly naive ?

I did try to apply the principle WWJD to this dilemma, but I am not a Xian, and besides, I don't think there were IT Contractors around in his day. Apart from some members of this board.

"sort of 3 months to sort of 6 months"
    Wait and see what the contract actually says before you say anything to the pimp.
    If it's 3 months, then fine. If it's longer, then you have a decision to make.
    You might be able to invoke your substitution clause.

Comment

First of all congrats

Live month to month. don't tell...
      Anything can happen!

Comment

"I've realised that only one person really counts in all of this and that's me and my family"

That is more than one person.

Why not ask the client for an end date. Tell them you were thinking of booking a holiday (or had already done so) and so wanted a definite point where you would be free. That way he won't know it is because you have something better to go for.

Comment

But surely it's standard practice for initial period of 3 months contractually? Anyhow, you could always stop pretending to be a normal person when you want to leave.

Comment

it's probably in the interest of the client to only tie you in for 3 months initially, so that's what they'll probably do anyway (in case the project / role finishes earlier than they thought)

And then you can refuse any offered extension

Comment

stop pretending to be a normal person when you want to leave
              Problem is Xog, I've never really started. I just can't get the hang of it.

How on earth you poor humans with your frail and oddly-shaped bodies (especially the pics of Threaded which remind me of when our race came to Earth through a worm-hole and encounted the point of singularity) manage to survive is beyond me.

And what is it with having only 2 arms ?

8 are much more efficient and practical, especially when using the MS Natural Keyboard (which one of our kind invented actually).

Don't get me started on orifii. You have far to few to be of any use at a Rigellian Flesh Party.

Still it's better than having just one like the Zootan's (and of course the being you call "Chico".)

Probably explains why everything that comes out of his mouth is waste refuse.

Comment

BGG,

with respect,

at fecking last...

'as I've got older and more cynical, I've realised that only one person really counts in all of this and that's me and my family'

Milan.

Comment

No problem BBG. Sign up for 3 months, then review it. Maybe the new contract in 4 months might disappear, so don't just sit around waiting.

Don't tell them you're going to bugger off, tell them that when you have the second contract.

Comment

realised that only one person really counts in all of this and that's me and my family'
                    As someone pointed out....that's technically more than one.

However, they do live within a mucus-lined pouch in my lower abdomen, hence the use of the singular.

Sorry for any confusion this may have caused. I thought everybody did the same. Obviously not ! LOL!

Comment

Working...
                    X