• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Russia hits West with food import ban in sanctions row

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russia hits West with food import ban in sanctions row

Money well spent, this $5 billion the US spent destabilising the Ukraine.

BBC News - Russia hits West with food import ban in sanctions row

Russia is imposing a "full embargo" on food imports from the EU, US and some other Western countries, in response to sanctions over Ukraine.

Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said it would include fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, milk and dairy imports.

Australia, Canada and Norway are also affected.

Russia is also banning Ukrainian airlines from transit across its territory, he said in televised comments to the government.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

There'll be food queues all over Russia next week.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      There'll be food queues all over Russia next week.
      +1, Does this even matter, how much food does the EU sell to Russia?. Putin would be better off turning off the gas/oil tap but that would hurt Russia a lot more financially than stopping imports of Heinz Beans and Camembert...

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
        +1, Does this even matter, how much food does the EU sell to Russia?. Putin would be better off turning off the gas/oil tap but that would hurt Russia a lot more financially than stopping imports of Heinz Beans and Camembert...
        The EU sells about 12 billion euros of food to Russia, which is quite a lot of money. The thing is, all Putin's doing is ensuring that we don't get money, but Russians don't get food. Now OK, potentially Russia could become a net food exporter, but right now they import 40% of their food. You don't increase food production by 40% at the drop of a hat.

But according to Mr Medvedev, they can compensate for not importing meat, veg, fruit and so on by importing more cheese from New Zealand. Sure. 'Cheeseburger' will shortly mean exactly that in Russia; cheese, with cheese and topped with cheese. Assuming NZ doesn't flog the cheese to someone else or join in with Aus, UK and the rest.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

The EU sells about 12 billion euros of food to Russia, which is quite a lot of money. The thing is, all Putin's doing is ensuring that we don't get money, but Russians don't get food. Now OK, potentially Russia could become a net food exporter, but right now they import 40% of their food. You don't increase food production by 40% at the drop of a hat.

But according to Mr Medvedev, they can compensate for not importing meat, veg, fruit and so on by importing more cheese from New Zealand. Sure. 'Cheeseburger' will shortly mean exactly that in Russia; cheese, with cheese and topped with cheese. Assuming NZ doesn't flog the cheese to someone else or join in with Aus, UK and the rest.
          Will the EU reciprocate, stock up on your Russian Vodka (and those dolls which have another smaller doll inside) while you still can!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Money well spent, this $5 billion the US spent destabilising the Ukraine.

BBC News - Russia hits West with food import ban in sanctions row
            Add to that the £348 million the EU has given to various groups in the Ukraine.

EU Millions Paid for Ukrainian Groups Behind Yanukovych Overthrow

I must have missed the debate where our glorious politicians agreed to that?

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
              Will the EU reciprocate, stock up on your Russian Vodka (and those dolls which have another smaller doll inside) while you still can!
              Smirnoff made in the uk
              I don't care as long as I can still have a Vodka -Irn Bru

Comment

Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
                Smirnoff made in the uk
                I don't care as long as I can still have a Vodka -Irn Bru
                Vodka & Irn Bru?, not tried that, prefer to stick to the tried and tested vodka and (diet) coke, in my younger days Vodka and Cranberry or Red Bull was all the rage but I'm too old for that sh!t now

Comment

Perhaps 750,000 civilians died of starvation during the siege of Leningrad in WW2.

Somehow I think a shortage of cheeseburgers is unlikely to bother the Russians.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
                    Perhaps 750,000 civilians died of starvation during the siege of Leningrad in WW2.

Somehow I think a shortage of cheeseburgers is unlikely to bother the Russians.
                    Agreed. Now if there was a ban on food from The East .... no Curry, no Thai .....

Comment

Working...
                    X