• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the longest you've gone without taking a day off?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the longest you've gone without taking a day off?

So you're in contract and you can't find the strength to give up a day's wage or you think that the contract will end soon but it gets extended on and on and before you know it you haven't taken time off in ages.

To be fair, I know most take time off regardless of the contract position. And I used to do that until last year when I took a huge hit on something.

What's the longest you've gone on contract without taking a single day (or half-day!) off?

For me - it's coming up to a year soon. And I've even worked some weekends so if I make it the whole 12 months then I would have achieved 5 days over the actual 253 working days in the year. I feel like I'm ready to die though

A year.
    I still feel bad on Bank Holidays when I go to mates BBQ and think "I'm losing Money and eating Burnt Food"

Comment

Since I started my contract on the 9th May last year, upto and including tomorrow, there have been 317 billable days, and I have billed 334 days including New Years day!

Which is why when my time sheet is signed tomorrow I am taking three weeks off as I am exhausted, should have been in Spain already now but my latest extension meant I am taking three not four weeks off
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

This just reminded me of an old joke

A contractor dies on a fishing accident on his 40th birthday and finds himself greeted at the Pearly Gates by a brass band.
        Saint Peter runs over, shakes his hand and says “Congratulations!”
        “Congratulations for what?” asks the contractor
        “Congratulations for what?” says Saint Peter. “We are celebrating the fact that you lived to be 160 years old.”
        “But that’s not true,” says the consultant. “I only lived to be forty.”
        “That’s impossible,” says Saint Peter, “we added up your time sheets!”

Comment

In 1999 to 2000 I worked every business day for 18 months, with a single exception - the day of the total solar eclipse in Cornwall.
          Saved £30K over that period, which wasn't bad

Though I'd never do it again (life's too short).

Comment

4 Days Holiday in Jan
            9 days in March
            5 Days in May
            10 Days planned for August
            5 Days Planned for October
            4 days at Xmas

All paid. Read it and weep losers. Mwuhahahahahahahaha!!!!
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Planned breaks
              A week in Jan.
              April
              July
              first half of Aug
              Maybe December.

Unplanned breaks
              One day when I booked two hours and three people independently suggested I look really rough and should go home (but I look pretty rough anyway).

Real contractors don't go sick without there being a limb hanging off........

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post

Real contractors don't go sick
                Fixed it for you

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  So you're in contract and you can't find the strength to give up a day's wage or you think that the contract will end soon but it gets extended on and on and before you know it you haven't taken time off in ages.
                  I've never bought into this line of thought.

I earn substantially more than I ever did as a permie so have no qualms whatsoever about taking whatever holidays I like.

Comment

5 days.

But in the last 10 years it's usually been 4.

Comment

Working...
                    X