• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Conflict with contract staff members

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conflict with contract staff members

Hello everyone. First I should introduce my self. I am a 27 year old IT engineer, working in mainly first and second line user support. I'm sorry to spring such a deep question in my 14,787th ever post on this forum, but it is a forum I have read many times as a guest and think this might be a good spot for some advice.

I am currently working for a large public sector organisation in Oxfordshire. Largely, I have enjoyed working for this organisation and it been rewarding. I have got on well with almost all the team. There is a lot of banter which flies back and forth through the small room we work in. I love nothing more than a good bit of banter at work. I think it's great fun if noone is getting hurt and the work is done; I think it can be team building. I am not sensitive to humour. I find a lot of Jimmy Carr syle humour quite funny, although he does over-step the mark for me sometimes.

For the purpose of this post, I will call the bloke concerned "Bauble". Bauble is very keen and tries to always crack jokes left right and centre with the rest of the team. At his best, he can be a pleasure to talk to and have a bit of a laugh with. I think he possibly suffers naivety because he seems to have certain ticks and not be able to shut up for more than one minute without making a multitude of sounds! The problem is, many times the jokes go over his head. For example about Gladiators and Bleeding radiators. A lot of this stuff I have cringed at but sort of let it go over my head.

There are many times Bauble is very difficult to work with. I find him quite obstructive when I need to know things in order to do the job. Sure, I don't expect anyone to teach me how to support EYE-TEE's, but I find as a permie in a cushy number there are always new things to learn about certain procedures and rules in the organisation. Sometimes he will have a customer on hold and in trying get some vital piece spoon fed to him, he's a contractor so should know this, or at least where to find it in documentation but he looks silly, pretty much backed up by my side kick who giggles inanely at anything he says.

Today however, hit a new watershed. Well I think so he was sprouting on some long winded whine about something or other, didn't really pay that much attention.

Have any of you been in a situation like this? How did you deal with it?

Sorry it's so deep and ranty, but I've had to get this off my chest, and get some opinions.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Bauble seems rather easier to deal with than certain contract environment managers I could mention....

:
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

TL;DR

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        TL;DR
        If nothing else at least I found out what these means.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          If nothing else at least I found out what these means.
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

If this contractor is really anoying you, why don't you call up HMRC and suggest they take at look at his contract for IR35 compliance ?
            I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
              If this contractor is really anoying you, why don't you call up HMRC and suggest they take at look at his contract for IR35 compliance ?
              That's a great idea, until they start looking at other contractors in the same place...
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
              X