• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stopping Nuisance Calls

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stopping Nuisance Calls

I'm going through a bad patch at the moment. Girlfriend left me etc... not looking for sympathy (and I sure as hell wouldn't come here looking for it!) .

What's driving me insane is nuisance phone calls. You know how it is when you're hanging on the telephone? Every time it rings I think it's going to be her but it's a recorded message banging on about PPI insurance or some tw*t telling me I have a problem with my computer.

Please - how do I get rid of these people before I hurl my phone through the window?

Caller ID? and ignore withheld numbers.
    sorry about your girlfriend
    Last edited by Pogle; 8 August 2014, 10:31. Reason: to add stuff
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

I've just registered my number with the Telephone Preference Service. It claims that once I'm registered I shouldn't receive any unsolicited marketing calls unless I've given my consent. That's the bit I worry about - how many times have I filled in a form on line and forgotten to check/uncheck the "please don't contact me with marketing information checkbox"?

Comment

You don't say if it's landline or mobile.

I upgraded my landline phone to one of the models that can block calls from certain numbers, withheld numbers and international numbers (which are used to try and get round the blocking). All the people I know overseas know the number is blocked so will call my mobile or message me online if they need to contact me.

On my mobile I use the Mr Number app which can also block individual numbers or whole sets. I block numbers beginning with 0800, 0845, 0844 etc. You can choose to hang up on them or direct them to voicemail.

Any random number that calls about PPI or suchlike gets added straight away, usually with the beginning code of the number so any from that area gets blocked since they will rotate different numbers. I don't know anyone from Doncaster for example so they are blocked ever since I got a cold call from a number there.

Comment

TPS will cut down on calls but not eradicate them. And all the calls we get are NOT from withheld numbers.

This seems one of the better solutions: CPR 1200 Number Capacity Nuisance Call Blocker - Grey: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
            Caller ID? and ignore withheld numbers.
            sorry about your girlfriend
            Thankyou.

I think with caller ID your phone will display the number & you can choose to answer or not answer. Problem is, the damage is already done by then as far as I'm concerned

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
            You don't say if it's landline or mobile.

I upgraded my landline phone to one of the models that can block calls from certain numbers, withheld numbers and international numbers (which are used to try and get round the blocking). All the people I know overseas know the number is blocked so will call my mobile or message me online if they need to contact me.

On my mobile I use the Mr Number app which can also block individual numbers or whole sets. I block numbers beginning with 0800, 0845, 0844 etc. You can choose to hang up on them or direct them to voicemail.

Any random number that calls about PPI or suchlike gets added straight away, usually with the beginning code of the number so any from that area gets blocked since they will rotate different numbers. I don't know anyone from Doncaster for example so they are blocked ever since I got a cold call from a number there.
            Landline, mostly. Though I also get them ion my mobile so I'll look into the Mr Number app.

Comment

But have you checked your owed any PPI?

Could be the turn of luck you need.

Good Luck.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                But have you checked your owed any PPI?

Could be the turn of luck you need.

Good Luck.

qh
                +1, You could be owed thousands and you should be thankful that they are only taking 30% for filling in a form

Sorted this out for the missus, phoned the bank, they sent out a form, filled it in, she got 3 grand back (and kept 100% of it), really don't know why people use these PPI cowboys, its p!ss easy to sort it.

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
                  +1, You could be owed thousands and you should be thankful that they are only taking 30% for filling in a form

Sorted this out for the missus, phoned the bank, they sent out a form, filled it in, she got 3 grand back (and kept 100% of it), really don't know why people use these PPI cowboys, its p!ss easy to sort it.
                  the best one I heard was where the PPI cowboy claimed they had saved 30% of future payments so they pocketed the cash and sent the claimant a bill for some of the saved money. If Dodgy did PPI claims - hey?
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
                    Thankyou.

I think with caller ID your phone will display the number & you can choose to answer or not answer.
                    Hence, a device like I posted which will remember which numbers to block. Why landline providers don't have such a service as an optional extra I don't know... maybe the technology doesn't support it?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X