• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

hotmail through the firewall?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hotmail through the firewall?

Ok whats the easiest/safest way of accessing my hotmail through the firewall?
    I am aware of the free proxies... which is the most legit?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Originally posted by kramer
    Ok whats the easiest/safest way of accessing my hotmail through the firewall?
    I am aware of the free proxies... which is the most legit?

The easiest way is to run your own proxy on a box at home. If they have done it peoperly and implemented URL filtering as well then all the decent public proxies will be blocked as well.

Squid is probably the best and runs on windows or linux and is free. Minimal configuration needed and does exactly what it is supposed to.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Or run your own mail server with your own domain. most company firewalls wont be set up to exclude it because its just your box.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
        Or run your own mail server with your own domain. most company firewalls wont be set up to exclude it because its just your box.
        Depends on how thorough they have been. If they've done it right then external SMTP / POP traffic will only be allowed to/from the mail server itself and not from anywhere else.

Comment

make sure you have a webmail front end as well then, or open a non standard port, etc.

I'm not saying that companies can't shut it down, just that if you have your own one the chances are they won't have locked out every avenue of access and it is unlikely to be blacklisted by thier firewall software automatically.

Comment

make sure you have a webmail front end as well then, or open a non standard port, etc.

I'm not saying that companies can't shut it down, just that if you have your own one the chances are they won't have locked out every avenue of access and it is unlikely to be blacklisted by thier firewall software automatically.

Sure, but he wants access to hotmail and not his own domain. If you want to got o the expense of setting up your own domain and hosting it at home thats fine but setting up a proxy is a lot faster and easier than building a reliable mail server and web front end. having the proxy also lets you go to all those other places the co. doesnt want you to as well as hotmail

Comment

Yes that's true, but where else would you want to go??? It's not like you have time to read and post on forums when you are working at a clients site is it.....

Comment

Yes that's true, but where else would you want to go??? It's not like you have time to read and post on forums when you are working at a clients site is it.....
                Well for a start you could see all the piccies in Test Please Delete without them being blocked

Of course the other sure fire way around it is to be the security manager responcible for configuring the firewall etc in the first place and have a few little backdoors in place for specific internal IP addresses. Not that I would do anysuch thing you understand

Comment

I find that knowing the domain admin passwords can be useful :P

Comment

I find that knowing the domain admin passwords can be useful :P
                    Ah - in which case you need a security professional to create the holistic security architecture. I'm available for a costly fee, after all, security is where it's at...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X