• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why aren't the Tories supporting Scottish independence?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why aren't the Tories supporting Scottish independence?

It would get rid of a whole truckload of Labour MP's in Westminster and virtually guarantee a Tory government in the next election.

I'm genuinely curious about why they're not supporting it.
    ǝןqqıʍ

KUATB
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Oops
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

No man gets in the way between a Tory and a great big fat pile of cash. Whether that's in the form of exploiting cheap labour or selling the family silver.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
          It would get rid of a whole truckload of Labour MP's in Westminster and virtually guarantee a Tory government in the next election.

I'm genuinely curious about why they're not supporting it.
          There are a few reasons mainly to do with the UK's current standing in the world (UN Security Council, G8, etc)

Also, rUK would lose a fair bit of GDP when Scotland is independent.

Comment

Because for better or worse, it's officially the 'Conservative and Unionist Party', formed after a merger of the Conservative Party and the Liberal Unionist Party, which broke from the Liberal Party in 1912 over Irish home rule. Nowadays the full title is rarely used, because 'Unionism' is a sensitive word, especially considering improved relations with Ireland and new thinking on how to sort out the issues there.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

It's also because it wouldn't make a huge amount of difference. I remember seeing something about how the last few elections would have turned out if Scotland was independent and I don't think it changed any of the results.

Comment

I don't thing Call-me-Dave wants to go down in history as the PM who lost Scotland.

And I'm not sure the Tories would have an inbuilt majority. Democracies rarely have an imbalance. More likely IMO that the Tories would shift to the right to see off UKIP and Labour would shift to the centre to fill the gap, although that may take a few years (or maybe not). Look at the GOP and Dems in the US. They are respectively to the right of Tories and Labour because they are both fighting for the centre ground of US opinion.

Comment

Working...
                X