• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Booomed (and doomed)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Booomed (and doomed)

Boomed: 3 months extension till mid December approved and have the paper work.

Rate super high (compared to what I am used to) and 40 mins from home. At the end of that contract I will have a cushy 10 month warchest.

Doomed: Lenovo laptop I bought for 1500 is faulty and have had to return it. Has cost me 2 weeks of plan b work.

Doomed: still waiting for that bench time

Doomed: can't access cuk online through clientco network. Having to use iPhone app on my backup phone to post.

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post

Doomed: Lenovo laptop I bought for 1500 is faulty and have had to return it. Has cost me 2 weeks of plan b work.
    If only you bought a Mac.

My rMBP developed that ghosting effect. Took it in to the apple store. 24 hours later the screen was replaced.

Remember paying less thinking you're are getting a good deal is spending more in the long term. By loosing two weeks work you've probably spent more than me.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

My rMBP developed that ghosting effect. Took it in to the apple store. 24 hours later the screen was replaced.

Remember paying less thinking you're are getting a good deal is spending more in the long term. By loosing two weeks work you've probably spent more than me.
      You know, not everyone likes Macs?

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        You know, not everyone likes Macs?
        It's a sad truth.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

It's a sad truth.
          I've never gone in for any of their ecosystem, but at my last place 3 engineers moved to rMBP's and within 12 - 18 months they'd all moved back to Lenovo/Dell/HP.

Comment

but at my last place 3 engineers moved to rMBP's and within 12 - 18 months they'd all moved back to Lenovo/Dell/HP.
            They went back to unreliability and loss of income

Bet they still kept their rMBPs

Comment

They went back to unreliability and loss of income

Bet they still kept their rMBPs
              No, they went back to a tool that they preferred to use - sold them to fund the new stuff AFAIK. And given that you yourself had rMBP fail, I don't think we can really define Macs as "more reliable".

I'm not knocking the kit, by the way - it looks very high quality and seems to work, but it's definitely not the be all and end all. I've only ever had HP laptops (Though my current is Dell) and the only one I've had to scrap was around 7 or 8 years old.

Comment

Having one laptop fail and suggesting you buy a Mac instead is like having a bad date and suggesting you go gay.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

No, they went back to a tool that they preferred to use - sold them to fund the new stuff AFAIK. And given that you yourself had rMBP fail, I don't think we can really define Macs as "more reliable".

I'm not knocking the kit, by the way - it looks very high quality and seems to work, but it's definitely not the be all and end all. I've only ever had HP laptops (Though my current is Dell) and the only one I've had to scrap was around 7 or 8 years old.
                  Using a 2006 iMac as my main desktop still. No failures to date. Determined to get 10 years out of it before considering it's replacement.

But in general MBP are the best and most reliable.

20 best laptops 2014: What's the best laptop you can buy in the UK?

And no. 1 goes to..

1. Apple MacBook Pro (15-inch, Retina, Late 2013) 2.3GHz nVidia

Apple MacBook Pro (15-inch, Retina, Late 2013) 2.3GHz nVidia
                  Reviewed on: 1 December 13
                  RRP: £1699 inc VAT
                  Rating: Rated 9 out of 10
                  Actually there not...
                  Last edited by scooterscot; 13 August 2014, 11:15.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Having one laptop fail and suggesting you buy a Mac instead is like having a bad date and suggesting you go gay.
                    It was the Samsung screen that failed, not the apple components. Go on, go gay, go Apple.

Comment

Working...
                    X