• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor dismissed over Body Tattoo's - the tattoo debate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor dismissed over Body Tattoo's - the tattoo debate

Tattoos are more popular than ever, but workers can be dismissed from or denied jobs because of their body modifications. Some want protection under employment law. Should they get it ?

Quote:

In July a Consultant in Milton Keynes, had her contract terminated because a 4cm image of a butterfly on her foot contravened the no-visible-inking policy of the firm for which she worked. The company said she had failed to cover it up.

Would be interested in hearing Contractors views on the
    Tattoo debate - particularly from those who feel they have
    lost or failed to get a Contract because of it.

BBC News - Are employers justified in dismissing employees over their Body Tattoo

In the next ten years I'd say laser tattoo removal will be very lucrative. Time to reskill?

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
      In the next ten years I'd say laser tattoo removal will be very lucrative. Time to reskill?

qh
      Because it's new tech? Otherwise, unlikely.

If we must have this debate (boring) you should include piercings and hair styles too.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

"She wasn't the first. A 39-year-old mother-of-three from Yorkshire with the mantra "Everything happens for a reason" on her forearm was dismissed as a waitress in 2013 following complaints from customers."

How apt

Comment

Talking of piercngs

BBC News - World's most pierced man Rolf Buchholz barred from Dubai

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Because it's new tech? Otherwise, unlikely.

If we must have this debate (boring) you should include piercings and hair styles too.
            Yes why not ? - personally I hate the present Fad for Tattoo's, etc.

Comment

Tattoos are OK.
              People should be dismissed for apostrophe abuse though.

Why didn't she just wear trousers/socks to cover it up?

Comment

Forget getting work in Japan.

http://rt.com/art-and-culture/tattoo-ban-japan-job-082/

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
                  "She wasn't the first. A 39-year-old mother-of-three from Yorkshire with the mantra "Everything happens for a reason" on her forearm was dismissed as a waitress in 2013 following complaints from customers."

How apt
                  That's the most ironic thing since anti-knife campaigner, DJ Ironik, was stabbed.

BBC News - Rapper DJ Ironik stabbed by muggers
                  I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by Tightfit View Post
                    Yes why not ? - personally I hate the present Fad for Tattoo's, etc.
                    There isn't a present fad for tattoos. They've been immensely popular for decades if not longer in the UK.

Perhaps the demographic has shifted slightly but all that means is you see them more frequently on the type of people you interact with.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X