• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Morgan McKinley cut my rate 3 times after Microsoft made an offer

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morgan McKinley cut my rate 3 times after Microsoft made an offer

Hello,

I am new to the country and need some advice. Here is a brief summary:

I responded to any ad placed by Morgan McKinley (MM) for a contract position, stating that the rate would be GBP400-450/day. I applied for the position and stated that my rate would be GBP450. I was given 2 interviews and the Microsoft staff offered me the job. After that MM then said that the rate would be GBP410. A few days later they said there was a mistake and the rate would be GBP350. A few days later they said that the rate would be GBP300. Then a few days later the job was not available anymore.

I have issues with this kind of behavior. First, this is utterly unprofessional, second, is this false advertising?

What can I do?

Originally posted by Frank Big Bird View Post
    Hello,

I am new to the country and need some advice. Here is a brief summary:

I responded to any ad placed by Morgan McKinley (MM) for a contract position, stating that the rate would be GBP400-450/day. I applied for the position and stated that my rate would be GBP450. I was given 2 interviews and the Microsoft staff offered me the job. After that MM then said that the rate would be GBP410. A few days later they said there was a mistake and the rate would be GBP350. A few days later they said that the rate would be GBP300. Then a few days later the job was not available anymore.

I have issues with this kind of behavior. First, this is utterly unprofessional, second, is this false advertising?

What can I do?
    Nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Nothing.
      Not quite true. He can post about it (which he has) and whine about it which no doubt he has elsewhere but apart from that and as you say he can't do anything else.

I will however add them to my list of agents to be wary off...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

@Frank

Have you signed a contract yet? If your contract has already been signed, you will need to check the terms of the contract surrounding the "Daily Rate" (or similar). More than likely there will be a clause allowing a variation by mutual consent.

If you haven't signed the contract yet, but have an email with an agreed rate, then the contract is potentially valid, but you are going to have a very difficult time enforcing it...

Seeing as though it appears that you haven't started the role as yet, there is nothing that you can actually do, to be frank, since no work has been performed.

Your choices:

If you have a signed contract at the higher rate, you can either accept the variation at the lower rate, or give notice in terms of the contract.

If you have no signed contract, then you can accept the contract at the lower rate and sign it off on that basis

If you have no signed contract, you can decline the acceptance and look for another role.
        Last edited by Scruff; 18 August 2014, 11:29.
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Big Bird View Post
          What can I do?
          Look for a new contract and avoid this agency in future.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The question is who is being unprofessional?

The agency?

I suspect (almost 100% certain) this is from Microsoft. They've probably found an offshore resource and the PM was haggling with the purchasing to get you on board, even though it was a totally desperate attempt.

I don't think specifically avoiding the agency would have prevented this.

If the agency was trying to push you're rate down he wouldn't go for such a huge rate cut and then pull the job.

This is after all the company that released Windows 8.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 18 August 2014, 11:40.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

they probably found someone cheeper

Comment

It's Morgan McKinleg

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                The question is who is being unprofessional?

The agency?

I suspect (almost 100% certain) this is from Microsoft. They've probably found an offshore resource and the PM was haggling with the purchasing to get you on board, even though it was a totally desperate attempt.

I don't think specifically avoiding the agency would have prevented this.

If the agency was trying to push you're rate down he wouldn't go for such a huge rate cut and then pull the job.

This is after all the company that released Windows 8.
                A Microsoft representative has issued the following statement:

We have already spoken with Morgan McKinley regarding this once we became aware and we do not sanction their actions in any way. This has never happened before with any other agency we have worked with.

So it looks like it is 100% Morgan McKinley's own wrongdoings.

Comment

Forget it and keep looking. It is nothing personal and even if it was let it go.
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                    Forget it and keep looking. It is nothing personal and even if it was let it go.
                    No way. Find out the address of the head honcho at the agency then do the old bag of flaming dog poo on the doorstep trick to him.
                    I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Working...
                    X