• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car vandalised whilst at ClientCo - Repairs reimbursable?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car vandalised whilst at ClientCo - Repairs reimbursable?

So my car got deliberately keyed in the NCP car park next to ClientCo site a short while ago (Got a crime reference number etc). They damaged a couple of the panels so it will need a re spray on those ~£200/300. As I was on work business is it reasonable to put the repairs through the company, as I wouldn't have needed to park there otherwise and had no option but to park there as there is no parking on site at ClientCo.

I appreciate the mileage allowance claimed covers wear and tear to your vehicle but I would see this as outside of that standard wear and tear.

The amount is under my excess so there's no point in claiming on the insurance and I wouldn't want it affecting my no claims anyway

I will obviously fire it across to my accountant but thought I'd see what the expert panels view is on it also.

Come off it!

Comment

Is it a company car that you have purchased through the business? If not IMHO you've got no chance
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Come off it!
        WHS, unless its a company-owned car in which case it could possibly be (but even then I'd have my doubts).

Your own car? Bad luck, cosmetic repairs to your car is hard "wholly, exclusively and necessarily" for business purposes is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Fandango View Post
          So my car got deliberately keyed in the NCP car park next to ClientCo site a short while ago (Got a crime reference number etc). They damaged a couple of the panels so it will need a re spray on those ~£200/300. As I was on work business is it reasonable to put the repairs through the company, as I wouldn't have needed to park there otherwise and had no option but to park there as there is no parking on site at ClientCo.

I appreciate the mileage allowance claimed covers wear and tear to your vehicle but I would see this as outside of that standard wear and tear.

The amount is under my excess so there's no point in claiming on the insurance and I wouldn't want it affecting my no claims anyway

I will obviously fire it across to my accountant but thought I'd see what the expert panels view is on it also.
          Not sure if serious
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            Is it a company car that you have purchased through the business?
            No It's my own personal car

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            WHS, unless its a company-owned car in which case it could possibly be (but even then I'd have my doubts).

Your own car? Bad luck, cosmetic repairs to your car is hard "wholly, exclusively and necessarily" for business purposes is it?
            I see what your saying, but I suppose you could also argue the expense was incurred because I had no option but to park in that car park and that parking was indeed "wholly, exclusively and necessarily" for business purposes.

I'm not looking of a "oh yes you can claim that", reassuring pat on the back, I just see it as one of those not necessarily black and white issues.

Comment

I see what your saying, but I suppose you could also argue the expense was incurred because I had no option but to park in that car park and that parking was indeed "wholly, exclusively and necessarily" for business purposes.

I'm not looking of a "oh yes you can claim that", reassuring pat on the back, I just see it as one of those not necessarily black and white issues.
              But it is black and white. It's patently obvious its NOT a valid business expense.

Weak...

Comment

I take a contrary view and say go for it. It's only a few hundred quid. In the big scheme of things who's going to notice or care?

Put it in the company minutes at your next board meeting if you like. YourCo felt bad about it because it happened on a business trip so offered to reimburse you for the cost of the repairs.

It actually happened to me once as a permie. Went on a business trip to Newcastle and parked in the street next to the company premises. When I came out the headlights had been kicked in and all the panels keyed. The company paid for all the repairs (and paid for a hire car while mine was in the shop). Did it appear on my P11D? Did it bugger.
                I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Definitely no chance

That's like saying that you should be able to claim liposuction because if you weren't a contractor who sat at his desk for 8 hours a day you wouldn't have got fat and wouldn't have needed the op. HMRC would counter your argument by saying that you could have parked your car elsewhere or you could have traveled by train and then got a cab from the station to client co or hopped on a bicycle etc etc. You car can get keyed wherever it is - your car didn't get keyed because you were at clientco hence there is no wholly and exclusively
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                    I take a contrary view and say go for it. It's only a few hundred quid. In the big scheme of things who's going to notice or care?

Put it in the company minutes at your next board meeting if you like. YourCo felt bad about it because it happened on a business trip so offered to reimburse you for the cost of the repairs.

It actually happened to me once as a permie. Went on a business trip to Newcastle and parked in the street next to the company premises. When I came out the headlights had been kicked in and all the panels keyed. The company paid for all the repairs (and paid for a hire car while mine was in the shop). Did it appear on my P11D? Did it bugger.
                    If OP was asking..."will I get away with this?" then the answer is..."probably". But OP was asking if it was reimbursable and the answer to that is..."no, not without there being any personal tax implications at least". Just because your employer neglected to add it to your P11D doesn't mean its correct (arguably it wouldn't appear on the P11D but should be treated as extra earnings and go straight through the payroll).

Its certainly not unreasonable for an employer to take the view that their employee deserves to be reimbursed and they would be fully entitled to do so, it just needs to be taxed correctly.

My view is if that OP's company reimburses them, it should be treated as extra earnings - so tax deductible for the company as its just employee remuneration/staff costs, but taxable on the employee.

Comment

Working...
                    X