• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gearbox blown up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gearbox blown up

On my Alfa.....

gonna cost £1.5 to £2 k to fix

anyway my question is

given that a have a 30 mile commute (each way) of which 25 is pretty clear motorway miles and last 5 is stop start traffic is it best to get diesel or petrol?

are modern petrol engines more economical than diesel or does it come down to driving style

I have a heavy right foot and am happy with an average of 40 mpg

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    gonna cost £1.5 to £2 k to fix

anyway my question is

given that a have a 30 mile commute (each way) of which 25 is pretty clear motorway miles and last 5 is stop start traffic should I claim the new gearbox as a valid business expense?
    FTFY
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Crikey! That's £1000 more than my trusty '94 Corolla is worth. Starts every time and rock solid. Excellent fuel economy too. If you don't mind the lack of power.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Diesel all the way. Most modern BMW and Merc diesels now are fast and very frugal even the 2 litre ones. Audi less good as you are often getting a Passat engine. Avoid the smaller 'German' diesels in the hatchbacks as these are often Renault, while OK, certainly not cutting edge.

PS Never buy an Alfa, all I ever hear on them is sob stories and big bills. Look great but POS.
        Last edited by ZARDOZ; 18 August 2014, 12:45.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
          Diesel all the way. Most modern BMW and Merc diesels now are fast and very frugal even the 2 litre ones. Audi less good as you are often getting a Passat engine. Avoid the smaller 'German' diesels in the hatchbacks as these are often Renault, while OK, certainly not cutting edge.

PS Never buy an Alfa, all I ever hear on them is sob stories and big bills. Look great but POS.
          I've had seven Alfa's only one was a lemon. 83' Alfa 33, didn't big-bill me, just was a POS car in general...

Comment

My 2005 Honda Type-R has a 2 ltr VTEC petrol engine and I get aprox 270 miles a £50 tank
            And Like you I'm heavy right footed!

Comment

Diesel. Unless you care about the environment and not harming children's lungs, in which case, petrol.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
                My 2005 Honda Type-R has a 2 ltr VTEC petrol engine and I get aprox 270 miles a £50 tank
                And Like you I'm heavy right footed!
                Do the math as the Yanks say.

1.30 per litre unleaded; £50 =38.5 litres ish, 8.46 gallons

270/8.46=32 mpg

Honda civic type R is about as fast as a c250 cdi merc which does around 45-50 mpg.

diesel 135 per litre; £50 =37 litres ish, 8.13 gallons
                Heavy footed, worst case 365 miles in mixed driving, 406 if A-road motorway commute.

Going to be visiting the Petrol station about 40-50% more
                Last edited by ZARDOZ; 18 August 2014, 13:33.

Comment

prices can change. the damage that diesel does to the lungs is permenant
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Diesel. Unless you care about the environment and not harming children's lungs, in which case, petrol.
                    Is this the latest Government line? I wondered how long it would be before they would need a new reason to tax some more.

Comment

Working...
                    X