PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox blown up

original PM
18th August 2014, 12:16
On my Alfa.....

gonna cost £1.5 to £2 k to fix :ohwell

anyway my question is

given that a have a 30 mile commute (each way) of which 25 is pretty clear motorway miles and last 5 is stop start traffic is it best to get diesel or petrol?

are modern petrol engines more economical than diesel or does it come down to driving style

I have a heavy right foot :o and am happy with an average of 40 mpg

TheFaQQer
18th August 2014, 12:29
gonna cost £1.5 to £2 k to fix :ohwell

anyway my question is

given that a have a 30 mile commute (each way) of which 25 is pretty clear motorway miles and last 5 is stop start traffic should I claim the new gearbox as a valid business expense?

FTFY :)

lilelvis2000
18th August 2014, 12:39
Crikey! That's £1000 more than my trusty '94 Corolla is worth. Starts every time and rock solid. Excellent fuel economy too. If you don't mind the lack of power.

ZARDOZ
18th August 2014, 12:43
Diesel all the way. Most modern BMW and Merc diesels now are fast and very frugal even the 2 litre ones. Audi less good as you are often getting a Passat engine. Avoid the smaller 'German' diesels in the hatchbacks as these are often Renault, while OK, certainly not cutting edge.

PS Never buy an Alfa, all I ever hear on them is sob stories and big bills. Look great but POS.

stek
18th August 2014, 12:51
Diesel all the way. Most modern BMW and Merc diesels now are fast and very frugal even the 2 litre ones. Audi less good as you are often getting a Passat engine. Avoid the smaller 'German' diesels in the hatchbacks as these are often Renault, while OK, certainly not cutting edge.

PS Never buy an Alfa, all I ever hear on them is sob stories and big bills. Look great but POS.

I've had seven Alfa's only one was a lemon. 83' Alfa 33, didn't big-bill me, just was a POS car in general...

CloudWalker
18th August 2014, 13:07
My 2005 Honda Type-R has a 2 ltr VTEC petrol engine and I get aprox 270 miles a £50 tank
And Like you I'm heavy right footed!

VectraMan
18th August 2014, 13:13
Diesel. Unless you care about the environment and not harming children's lungs, in which case, petrol.

ZARDOZ
18th August 2014, 13:21
My 2005 Honda Type-R has a 2 ltr VTEC petrol engine and I get aprox 270 miles a £50 tank
And Like you I'm heavy right footed!

Do the math as the Yanks say.

1.30 per litre unleaded; £50 =38.5 litres ish, 8.46 gallons

270/8.46=32 mpg

Honda civic type R is about as fast as a c250 cdi merc which does around 45-50 mpg.

diesel 135 per litre; £50 =37 litres ish, 8.13 gallons
Heavy footed, worst case 365 miles in mixed driving, 406 if A-road motorway commute.

Going to be visiting the Petrol station about 40-50% more

EternalOptimist
18th August 2014, 13:22
prices can change. the damage that diesel does to the lungs is permenant

ZARDOZ
18th August 2014, 13:33
Diesel. Unless you care about the environment and not harming children's lungs, in which case, petrol.

Is this the latest Government line? I wondered how long it would be before they would need a new reason to tax some more.

EternalOptimist
18th August 2014, 13:42
Is this the latest Government line? I wondered how long it would be before they would need a new reason to tax some more.

it was Boris I think. upping the congestion charge to clobber diesel users in order to reduce pollution that was exacerbated by Bobble eye Brown in another of his genius masterstrokes

zoco
18th August 2014, 13:50
it was Boris I think. upping the congestion charge to clobber diesel users in order to reduce pollution that was exacerbated by Bobble eye Brown in another of his genius masterstrokes

I seem to recall when I bought my diesel RAV4 that a major deciding factor was that road tax was significantally cheaper than for a petrol car of similar cubic capacity because diesel produces less in the way of CO2 emissions.

EternalOptimist
18th August 2014, 13:55
I seem to recall when I bought my diesel RAV4 that a major deciding factor was that road tax was significantally cheaper than for a petrol car of similar cubic capacity because diesel produces less in the way of CO2 emissions.

I seem to recall the diesel fuel duty being reduced because it produced less co2 than petrol.
This would reduce temperatures in 300 years by one tenth of a degree which would obviously save eighteen million babies. Horrible pollution now seemed to be a price well worth paying

ZARDOZ
18th August 2014, 14:17
Whatever the majority of people are buying that's where the tax will be applied. Unsurprisingly as most cars sold are now diesel, the tax incentive for diesel will be reduced. What is more annoying is the BS PR smokescreen they put out for the reason why. Same would happen if Petrol was the new Black.

vetran
18th August 2014, 14:54
Whatever the majority of people are buying that's where the tax will be applied. Unsurprisingly as most cars sold are now diesel, the tax incentive for diesel will be reduced. What is more annoying is the BS PR smokescreen they put out for the reason why. Same would happen if Petrol was the new Black.

Diesel is still 100 times worse than petrol.Though it is going to change

New petrol engines cause more air pollution than dirty diesels | Transport & Environment (http://www.transportenvironment.org/press/new-petrol-engines-cause-more-air-pollution-dirty-diesels)

Pollutionwatch: Petrol or diesel? | Environment | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/nov/10/pollutionwatch-petrol-diesel-climate-change)

of course new lie got it wrong!