• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hazard pay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hazard pay

Hi all, question I contract for a German engineering company and I've recently been told by a German colleague that the field installation guys get hazard pay based on a risk company but even though I work along side these guys they will not pay me the same daily payment any thoughts?

Originally posted by fenog2 View Post
    Hi all, question I contract for a German engineering company and I've recently been told by a German colleague that the field installation guys get hazard pay based on a risk company but even though I work along side these guys they will not pay me the same daily payment any thoughts?
    Did you not negotiate this before you signed the contacted?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Did you not negotiate this before you signed the contacted?
      When I first started the rates where set but later I found that a fellow brit was being paid the allowance when working in Nigeria, then I was given a table of rates so I worked out how much I could have earned and decided to see if it was worth pursuing.

Comment

If it's not in the contract, then you either suck it up or walk away (assuming there is a clause which allows early termination).

If it's in the contract, then you need to point that out to the client and invoice appropriately.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Are these guys getting hazard pay permies or contractors?

Comment

Assuming this hazard pay was not in your contract, then if you were happy with the rate you are getting when you signed the contract, then you should not become unhappy just because someone else is getting more.

"Salary" envy is for permies.
            I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
              Assuming this hazard pay was not in your contract, then if you were happy with the rate you are getting when you signed the contract, then you should not become unhappy just because someone else is getting more.

"Salary" envy is for permies.
              Nonsense, all else being equal, if someone next to me is getting more than I am, I'm damn sure I'll be doing my level best to get the same. There are many ways to achieve this, whining about it to the uncaring universe isn't one of them though.

Comment

Originally posted by Goatfell View Post
                Nonsense, all else being equal, if someone next to me is getting more than I am, I'm damn sure I'll be doing my level best to get the same. There are many ways to achieve this, whining about it to the uncaring universe isn't one of them though.
                That is fair enough if we were talking about the contractor next to you being on a higher rate than you while doing the same job. The discussion here is about hazard pay which in my mind is a work place benefit, which is associated with permies. The only thing a contractor is entitled to is the rate he/she negotiated and signed up for. Anything on top of that is at the customer discretion.

Comment

Working...
                X