• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much?

Mate of mine has an interview lined up, He was contacted by the co with his CV online. Ahead of interview he's been asked 'salary expectations', and that the salary is between £28-£36k.

What salary would you say you wanted if you were asked this question?
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

One hundred meellion pounds!
    Join IPSE

Comment

Lol, thanks Mr Evil.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
        Mate of mine has an interview lined up, He was contacted by the co with his CV online. Ahead of interview he's been asked 'salary expectations', and that the salary is between £28-£36k.

LOL

So much detail.

Go in at the top, you can only negotiate down.

Depends on skills, location, ClientCo + other things.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

This is a job as a ticket inspector* on the buses, yes?

Seriously, if I really wanted the job I'd go in at £40k and negotiate downward to £36k. If I didn't, well, the sky's the limit and there's always the outside chance they'll say "yes" and were trying to scam "your mate". Try £50k.

* Starting salary £30,149 rising to £34,141 after completion of 12 months probation (based on 2011 data).
          I'm Spartacus.

Comment

I know the range is very low, it is non IT.

My mate said £32k, I would have said £40 and I am worth every penny.

Ho hum.

Comment

Ho hum.
              You are still being reticent with detail. Does "your mate" want advice or not? For many jobs, especially public sector, the pay range is the pay range and if you don't like it you can f-off (even if you are the world's leading expert in whatever the mystery job is).

Until you can be more forthcoming, there's very little more we can do to help you beyond the general advice of shoot high and never, ever go in with your starting position being your bottom line.
              I'm Spartacus.

Comment

My last permie role currently advertised as 140k, I kid thee not

More to do with the twunt MDs that are required to be tolerated

Comment

Lol, thanks Mr Evil.
                  It's Dr. Evil, I didn't spend six years in Evil Medical School to be called "mister," thank you very much.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Ho hum.
                    I'd probably have gone in at £38k or £40k to negotiate downwards. Plus benefits of course.

Last permie role I had, I pitched a price and they ended up offering £5k more.

That should have set the alarm bells ringing, but it didn't.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X