• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Smart Meters ? ? ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart Meters ? ? ?

I recently changed my energy suppler and I'm getting lots of phone calls from 3rd Partys saying "Your old energy meter needs to be replaced by our new Smart Meters" "its Unsafe / Inaccurate" bla bla

Now I know the government said they want smart meters in all homes by 2020 but I don't believe they will make my bills cheaper. In fact I've heard many 3rd Party companies charge your suppler for the device and installation anyway, and you still end up paying it back over time.
    I know they will monitor my real time usage and my information can be use for "Marketing Purposes"

What do you think?

A friend of mine used to work as a lawyer for Centrica. She said that they were longing for the day when everyone has a smart meter because they can see exactly what they use, when they use it, and can then come up with charging plans which make them the most money.

If a smart meter provides that real-time communication, then there is something built in which sends that communication (3G sim card?). That's going to consume power sending the data to the provider. Ask the provider who pays for the additional electricity that a smart meter consumes
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Disconnect from the grid and run your own generator.
      I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
        I recently changed my energy suppler and I'm getting lots of phone calls from 3rd Partys saying "Your old energy meter needs to be replaced by our new Smart Meters" "its Unsafe / Inaccurate" bla bla

Now I know the government said they want smart meters in all homes by 2020 but I don't believe they will make my bills cheaper. In fact I've heard many 3rd Party companies charge your suppler for the device and installation anyway, and you still end up paying it back over time.
        I know they will monitor my real time usage and my information can be use for "Marketing Purposes"

What do you think?
        I had a pre-payment meter swapped in a rental I had. The guy who came round waffled on about smart meters for ages. All I can remember is that there are 2 types - the ones British Gas use, and the later generation everyone else uses. The BG ones don't facilitate swapping energy providers so need to be replaced themselves if you subsequently move. So, on that basis, I wouldn't bother with a BG one. I don't see much harm in having them per se - i'm not sure big brother gives too much of a fig how much energy my fridge uses, though i'm sure there are plenty of conspiracists who would maintain he does

Comment

I got a Tado, you can control the temps etc from smartphone plus it detects your presence and turn off the heating when last person leaves. Also it's supposed to learn your movements and predict when you'll be in etc and start ramping up the temperature...

Essential to be able to turn in down remotely when working away when you have a Missus who thinks 23c is 'cold'.

Bit early to tell if it saved any dosh though, with it being generally warm anyway...

Best thing tho is after the initial tinkering with a new toy it's set and forget....

Comment

Npower have just put one into our home - we didn't have a choice I'm afraid.

No 3rd party was involved.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

many many reasons why you don't want a smart meter in their present form.

Top reasons include.

1. Security is dreadful.
              2. your supplier can cut you off remotely. (yes really).
              3. early adopter so you may well experience pain for little gain.

plenty of discussion on the register.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You can say that you don't want one. They send out letters at 90, 45 and 21 days, if you reply saying not over your dead body, you can't have access to my property they'll leave you alone.

Which is worth it because they still might be installing the SMETS1 meters which as has been indicated aren't smart any more after you've changed your supplier. I'd wait until a year or so until you're sure that they are using the SMETS2 meters.

Cojak: you're unlucky, npower have only installed 500 smart meters so far! (I think BG and e.on have done 500,000 and 380,000 respectively)

Comment

I have had one for probably 3 years.

I don't suffer from paranoid delusions so I have not been upset by its presence.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    I have had one for probably 3 years.

I don't suffer from paranoid delusions so I have not been upset by its presence.
                    Where I live, we don't even have cable TV, fibre broadband or even water meters (the guy couldn't work out how to do it ) so I hope we that the smart meters join the back of the queue here...

Comment

Working...
                    X