• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client Relationship vs. Jumping ship

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client Relationship vs. Jumping ship

I have just been offered a further 2 months in my current gig. It’s starting to stagnate a bit but it’s easy and the commute is small. However I have had a couple of emails about 6-12 greenfield gigs on slightly more cash.

I left my last gig partway through and really don’t want to do that again. A lot of the longer tenured contractors I talk to seem to get 50-80% of their work from previous clients, so I am very keen to start building my “network” of ex clients to have a list of people to contract when I do start looking.

My question is how much do you folks value keeping your client happy and not “burning bridges” vs. the short term gain of the shiny new contract?

Sometimes it's possible, sometimes not

I have a previous client who wants me to go back but I'm still in another contract at the moment, then there the contract before this where I left early and they weren't very happy but it was unavoidable at least in my view so I always do what's best for my business as it's dog eat dog in this world.
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

I value myself and family a lot more. The second you don't is the same second a client turns round and tells you they've got to let some folk go. It's just business.

By the by, if you get offered another contract, take it. Start thinking like a freelancer and not a contractor. I'd inform client 2 I've 40-60% availability and could increase that to 100% after two months.

Take the two jobs in the short term, find the angles, make a bucket load of cash.
      Last edited by scooterscot; 20 August 2014, 07:44.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        I value myself and family a lot more. The second you don't is the same second a client turns round and tells you they've got to let some folk go. It's just business.
        But that's my question. How much is a happy ex client worth?

Comment

Originally posted by Tasslehoff View Post
          That's not an easy thing to quantify I don't think it is anyway, seeing in the 3 years I've been contracting I've not been back to any ex clients.
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

There is a big difference between moving mid-contract ('jumping ship' as you say) and not accepting an extenion ('moving on').

I have never jumped ship but I have moved on. The client was disappointed but understood and a few days ago I was contacted by the agent asking me when my current contract ends (I had just accepted a new contract).

Moving on is business. As SS said, don't be swayed by permie-like loyalities. The last time I did that (because the project lasted longer than my contract) the buggers cancelled the project 4 weeks after I extended and I missed out on a choice contract.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              There is a big difference between moving mid-contract ('jumping ship' as you say) and not accepting an extenion ('moving on').

I have never jumped ship but I have moved on. The client was disappointed but understood and a few days ago I was contacted by the agent asking me when my current contract ends (I had just accepted a new contract).

Moving on is business. As SS said, don't be swayed by permie-like loyalities. The last time I did that (because the project lasted longer than my contract) the buggers cancelled the project 4 weeks after I extended and I missed out on a choice contract.

Sorry yes I should have been clearer. I don't mean jumping mid contract I mean, not taking the renewal if offered.

Comment

Sorry yes I should have been clearer. I don't mean jumping mid contract I mean, not taking the renewal if offered.
                You're under no obligation to accept a renewal, and no one should feel irate about that.

Why not try telling them that you would sign up if the extension were for longer, but with only 2 months on offer you feel you would have to turn down potentially decent, longer-running contracts?
                I'm Spartacus.

Comment

About 1/3. I read somewhere it takes a 1/3 less effort to acquire work from a past client that it does a new one.

Two client's I've worked for over the years, I've worked for both on and off for both at various intervals becoming more and more flexible. So perhaps not financial worth but in terms of freedom from the office.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Agree with others. Not renewing is prefectly fine.

Any client who has an issue with this is not worth working for again. I did have one who tried to tell me I had to give one months notice to leave and also one months notice not to renew (this was despite them pissing about and sorting out the extension with 3 days to go).

Like others have said also, leaving mid contract can be problematic and seen as a bit off by some. Personally I think well dont put a termination clause in the contract if you dont want it but be prepared to pay a bit more for the non-flexibility.

Clients on the other hand dont care. If it suits them to ditch mid contract they will.

I try not to act like an agent and treat agents fairly. If Im not going to renew I try to keep them informed at least if I can but bottom line is look after no1.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X