• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ebola- SAA attitude

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebola- SAA attitude

Im aghast that SAA are still flying to countries affected by Ebola! MY wife was due to go on business to JoBurg next week but has cancelled. Reason.....she was flying with SAA, ok Ebola may noy be airbourne, however SAA fly to Liberia etc, so you happen to get sneezed on by a passenger arriving into joBurg on an SAA flight, or be on a plane that was on a Liberia sector previously and use the same Loo as someone with Ebola, or a baggage handler loaded an Ebola infected bag etc....

I suspect a lot of people now cancelling trips might be more convinced of visiting the SA area if some airlines had decided not to put their planes at risk and also passengers who could come into contact with an infected passenger from an affected area.

I mean really....how many pandemic movies do these companies need to have seen to appreciate travel needs to be restricted. Nice to see BA and Emirates stopped flights pretty much immediately, responsible...not greedy...

I think you need to read up on the way in which Ebola is transmittable.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post

I mean really....how many pandemic movies do these companies need to have seen to appreciate travel needs to be restricted. Nice to see BA and Emirates stopped flights pretty much immediately, responsible...not greedy...
      6. they need to see six movies before they appreciate that travel should be restricted.

except Malaysia airlines. but they only have two planes left anyhow
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Im aghast that SAA are still flying to countries affected by Ebola! MY wife was due to go on business to JoBurg next week but has cancelled. Reason.....she was flying with SAA, ok Ebola may noy be airbourne, however SAA fly to Liberia etc, so you happen to get sneezed on by a passenger arriving into joBurg on an SAA flight, or be on a plane that was on a Liberia sector previously and use the same Loo as someone with Ebola, or a baggage handler loaded an Ebola infected bag etc....
        She´s going to Jo´burg and you´re scared of some disease from almost as far away from SA as we are from Liberia?

FFS, there are plenty of things to be scared of in Jo'burg, but this is the least of them. Bloody terrifying place, but not because of sick people from Nigeria.

I´ve met people from Kinshasa, Lagos and Nairobi who are scared of the violence in Jo´burg. In fact, it has only one advantage over anywhere else in Africa; better hospitals. Which is convenient, because more people need them.
        Last edited by Mich the Tester; 20 August 2014, 21:46.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          She´s going to Jo´burg and you´re scared of some disease from almost as far away from SA as we are from Liberia?

FFS, there are plenty of things to be scared of in Jo'burg, but this is the least of them. Bloody terrifying place, but not because of sick people from Nigeria.
          Ebola, it is the city of gold, we are told. Ebola...

Actually, I might have got that slightly wrong...

Comment

I have flown SAA, and can vouch for the safety.

They had a witch doctor at security to prevent evil spirits (incl ebola) getting on the plane.
            plus all planes carry a 'shaka zulu' air marshall armed with an assegai and a knob kerry to deal with any terrorist threat.
            The food was a bit dodgy, but the mango juice made up for it
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              I think you need to read up on the way in which Ebola is transmittable.
              eek, I know exactly how it can be transmitted. body fluids, that includes someone vomiting in an aircraft toilet, or getting splashback when having a bowel movement. Someone touches that, then their mouth/face they have a high risk of infection. trust me ive read a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

I´ve met people from Kinshasa, Lagos and Nairobi who are scared of the violence in Jo´burg. In fact, it has only one advantage over anywhere else in Africa; better hospitals. Which is convenient, because more people need them.

shes been a dozen times already, fully across its issues. Trouble is SAA still bringing people in from Ebola infected area to JoBurg which is a significant SAA hub. If it was Low Risk, then they wouldnt be putting thermal imaging sensors in the airport, I rest my case.....

Comment

shes been a dozen times already, fully across its issues. Trouble is SAA still bringing people in from Ebola infected area to JoBurg which is a significant SAA hub. If it was Low Risk, then they wouldnt be putting thermal imaging sensors in the airport, I rest my case.....
                  umbongo dimbongo. i cast you out.

phew! i feel safer now.
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

Oh dear; they're putting the sensors in because they know how to deal with this kind of thing in SA. Don't worry about ebola in Jo'burg. It's about as likely to infect you in Jo'burg as it is in Berkhamstead.

Anyway, even if they stopped flights to and from Liberia, Nigeria and so on, that doesn't stop infected people travelling; they just get a connecting flight instead. The real air hub in Africa is Nairobi, and miraculously, they're tightening up their checks;

Screening for Ebola widened at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport - News - nation.co.ke
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X