• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

assisted dying

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

assisted dying

Would you? Would you choose to end your life at a time of your choosing when faced with a incurable disability or disease?

I would like to think my rationality would overcome my physical disability and emotion when faced with such a prospect, but disease often robs us of that ability to decide.

Should we the living plan to die? Why is it such a taboo?
    1) yes
    27.27%
    2) no
    18.18%
    3) Perhaps, when faced with an incurable disease or disability
    54.55%
    AndyW's mum will be the death of me.
    0.00%
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Why is there no Andyw option?
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

4. AndyW's mum will be the death of me.

Comment

In the book Boomsday, there is a suggestion that senior citizens could earn their families a tax break if they take voluntary euthanasia when they get to a certain age.

I look at the quality of life that some of my elderly relatives have / had and hope that when I get to that stage, I have the option of putting everything in order and then choosing my own time and place to go gently into that good night.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Christianity (or perhaps Catholicism as that's what I know) is what has made it taboo.

Comment

Animals are put out of their misery all the time. I've never quite understood why we consider the quality of animal life as more important than the quality of human life.

My Mum has Motor Neurone Disease unfortunately, and I know she's always been in favour of this sort of thing especially after her father spent his last 2 years brain damaged after a stroke. So we'll see how that plays out. I'd certainly support her decision if that's what she wanted.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I can't promise that I would, but I do believe that my right to do should be undeniable. While I can appreciate the legal complexities of such matters, having heard a lot of the Radio 4 debates on this the "anti" campaign have often made me sick to my stomach by telling people that they have no right to die.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                Christianity (or perhaps Catholicism as that's what I know) is what has made it taboo.
                Kind of, but my MIL is very very Christian (Heck, my BIL is a Vicar...) and she has MS and has just watched her husband die after a long and fruitless battle with Parkinsons and dementia. She has made her opinions on the matter VERY clear and has no issues reconciling it with her beliefs.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  Kind of, but my MIL is very very Christian (Heck, my BIL is a Vicar...) and she has MS and has just watched her husband die after a long and fruitless battle with Parkinsons and dementia. She has made her opinions on the matter VERY clear and has no issues reconciling it with her beliefs.
                  Sure - but the reason it feels taboo (whereas in other cultures throughout history people have preferred to die with honour) is the same reason this country is so prudish when it comes to sex.

Over a thousand years of variants of Christianity woven into the very fabric of society. People are only now just starting to see sense.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                    Sure - but the reason it feels taboo (whereas in other cultures throughout history people have preferred to die with honour) is the same reason this country is so prudish when it comes to sex. ...
                    If arguing on those lines it might be better to say "die with dignity".

That phrase "die with honour" is more associated with past militaristic societies like Ancient Rome and Shogun Japan, where people would top themselves at the drop of a hat, or at the whim of a ruler often for the most trivial perceived offences or slights, and the lives of peasants and slaves and petty criminals wasn't worth a bean, hardly an advance ethically on Christianity.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X