• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"They may take our light bulbs but they will never take our Vacum Cleaners!"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"They may take our light bulbs but they will never take our Vacum Cleaners!"

Bloody EU messing with our Laws again!

BBC News - Ten days left to vacuum up a powerful cleaner

Anyone wanting to buy a powerful vacuum cleaner has only ten days left to be certain of getting one - following new EU rules that come in next month.

From 1 September, companies in the EU will be banned from making or importing vacuum cleaners above 1600 watts.

If only the EU could think of something useful to do they might find themselves with more support
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Buggering bollocks, but lets look on the bright side:

Vacuum cleaners will use less energy for the same performance - how much dust they pick up. This will help consumers to save money and make Europe as a whole use less energy.
      On 1 September 2014, vacuum cleaners in the EU will have to abide by a new set of minimum requirements. They cover:
      • Power
      • Performance (ability to pick up dust)
      • Energy efficiency
      • Dust re-emission in the exhaust air (particularly important for people with asthma)
      • Noise level
      • Durability (no early failure of the hose or the motor)

So we look at power, but also at performance.
      As regards power, the maximum allowed input power will be reduced: from 1600 Watt in 1 September 2014, to 900 Watt in September 2017. The current average on the market is about 1800 Watt.
      But – contrary to what is written in some articles and comments –the amount of Watt does not automatically indicate how well a vacuum cleaner will clean. The amount of Watt indicates how much electrical power is used by the engine.
      The important question is: How efficient is this electrical power translated into picking-up dust? Dust pick-up is also part of the new technical standard. New models put on the market must undergo a practical test, where the pick-up performance is measured and they have to achieve a certain pick-up factor.
      As a result of the new EU ecodesign and labelling regulations, consumers will also get better vacuum cleaners. In the past there was no legislation on vacuum cleaners and companies could sell poorly performing vacuum cleaners. Now, vacuum cleaners that use a lot of energy, that pick up dust poorly, emit too much dust at the exhaust of the vacuum cleaner, are noisy or break down pre-maturely will not be allowed on the market anymore. This means a better cleaning experience and less time and money spent on vacuum cleaning.
      http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...24:0034:EN:PDF

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...01:0023:EN:PDF

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Can't be arsed reading the article, is there a reason for banning hoovers over 1600w?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          Can't be arsed reading the article, is there a reason for banning hoovers over 1600w?
          yes.
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            The EU plans to save the planet by reducing the power consumption of vacuum cleaners

Comment

And don't forget that after Sept 2017, they'll be 900W max.

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
                And don't forget that after Sept 2017, they'll be 900W max.
                I'm no fan of these regulations, but think about it; 900 Watts is still a hell of a lot of power for a domestic apparatus used for picking up lots of tiny little bits of dust. 900 Watts is the kind of power that gets a 92 kg track cyclist and his 8 kg bike up to about 60 km/h. It'll get a fully grown runner a 100 metre time under 12 seconds. If the design is half competent, never mind even efficient, it's more than enough power.

Perhaps there'll be exceptions for industrial use; I dunno.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I went to check up on the spec for my vacuum and found this

Electrolux 612 Electronic & Electrolux 616 Electronic
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    I went to check up on the spec for my vacuum and found this

Electrolux 612 Electronic & Electrolux 616 Electronic

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X