• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bit silly

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit silly

The usual stuff about a political leader being on holiday when there's a "crisis"

Dave will fight them from the beaches: Now Cameron hits the Cornish surf after interrupting his holiday for a 19-hour dash back to Downing Street after James Foley execution by Brit jihadi* | Mail Online

Should politicians never have any time off? Necessary for them to be effective IMO. In any case, what is achieved by him rushing back to No 10 on this issue, given that this thing needs a long term well thought out plan?

I suppose it was always so, Just reading Robert Harris's Imperium about the rise of Cicero, It's quite an eye opener about how politics work. Everything is about appearances. Does anyone else yearn for an utterly uncharismatic leader who does not give a sh* about how he looks to the public but instead gives us well thought out laws based on real facts?

It will never happen.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    The usual stuff about a political leader being on holiday when there's a "crisis"

Dave will fight them from the beaches: Now Cameron hits the Cornish surf after interrupting his holiday for a 19-hour dash back to Downing Street after James Foley execution by Brit jihadi* | Mail Online

Should politicians never have any time off? Necessary for them to be effective IMO. In any case, what is achieved by him rushing back to No 10 on this issue, given that this thing needs a long term well thought out plan?

I suppose it was always so, Just reading Robert Harris's Imperium about the rise of Cicero, It's quite an eye opener about how politics work. Everything is about appearances. Does anyone else yearn for an utterly uncharismatic leader who does not give a sh* about how he looks to the public but instead gives us well thought out laws based on real facts?

It will never happen.
    Clavdivs ?
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

O'l Clavdivs was brill.
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

O'l Clavdivs was brill.
        I was goining to nominate Boris. but some people find him a bit charismatic
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)

Comment

it's only down to dumb expectations that he had to come back at all. Who gives a **** if the head chopper offer was a Brit or not? I'm sure, if figuring out how to stem the flow of brits out to join these groups is important, that it could have waited a few days - given that this head chopping has been going on for at least a year.

Comment

It will never happen.
            Hmmm... inneresting

I believe he's entitled to his holiday - he has a deputy doesn't he? The thing that gets me are all the staged photos of him on holiday which subsequently get plastered all over the dailies. Kind of rubs it in a bit. Sure we never used to get pics of Thatcher and Major when they took breaks - but then again, we live in an age of rolling news coverage nowadays.

I did find the pics of Obama playing golf and high fiving his chums very insensitive considering it took place just a couple of hours after his address concerning the James Foley outrage. That's one round I fell he shouldn't have played.
            Last edited by Gittins Gal; 22 August 2014, 20:40.

Comment

Its worth noting that the debate between style over substance is not new.
              In the old days the Blair-types were known as 'trimmers'

i.e. they would trim their sails(beliefs) to catch any following wind(public opinion)

what is galling, is that although they always suffer total contempt, at the time, when it matters,
              half the people support them.

strange people. people
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post

I believe he's entitled to his holiday - he has a deputy doesn't he? The thing that gets me are all the staged photos of him on holiday which subsequently get plastered all over the dailies. Kind of rubs it in a bit. Sure we never used to get pics of Thatcher and Major when they took breaks - but then again, we live in an age of rolling news coverage nowadays.
                That's the trade off to not being stalked for the rest of his break, couple of snaps at a café..

Comment

I don't see why he was needed for that but he has had rather a lot of holidays during his time in power: How many holidays does David Cameron need? | Alex Andreou | Comment is free | theguardian.com
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

had rather a lot of holidays during his time in power
                    Bleedin eck, yer right!
                    bloggoth

Comment

Working...
                    X