• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sink holes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sink holes

Was in the garage a few days ago and, although there was no visible leak, heard continual hissing from a mains pipe that runs under the wall to the kitchen. Checked the water meter and it was ticking over so blocked the pipe off and called a plumber.

Fortunately, I am in the garage a lot and am pretty sure this leak had started very recently. Hidden leaks can cause serious undermining of foundations. Worth checking regularly and turn the mains off when you go on holiday.

PS Why do plumbers get better hourly rates than most contractors?
    Last edited by xoggoth; 24 August 2014, 18:02.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Was in the garage a few days ago and, although there was no visible leak, heard continual hissing from a mains pipe that runs under the wall to the kitchen. Checked the water meter and it was ticking over so blocked the pipe off and called a plumber.

Fortunately, I am in the garage a lot and am pretty sure this leak had started very recently. Hidden leaks can cause serious undermining of foundations. Worth checking regularly and turn the mains off when you go on holiday.

Most jobs that involve getting elbow deep in tulip pay well.

Where's there's muck, there's brass.

We had a leak under the driveway - apparently the pipes they used only have a 20 year lifespan, so it's to be expected.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      We had a leak under the driveway - apparently the pipes they used only have a 20 year lifespan, so it's to be expected.
      We had one of those - probably a result of a 20tonner delivering down the drive, water co was ever so eager to fix it (at cost) to the extent of threatening to slap some formal notice on it but insurance paid for it in the end
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Supply and demand.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
        X