• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PTC Software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PTC Software

Probably some of you are aware of the name. I use one of their tools for my modelling. In the last week alone I've spotted three errors in their software that produces false results.

Is it acceptable today to pay between €20-30k for software and to find flaws? They seem to think so.

What is it with yanks and quality?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Probably some of you are aware of the name. I use one of their tools for my modelling. In the last week alone I've spotted three errors in their software that produces false results.

Is it acceptable today to pay between €20-30k for software and to find flaws? They seem to think so.

Its perfectly acceptable for software to have errors (if they are actual errors and not correct figures that look wrong due to something you don't know).

I would however find it unacceptable for those errors to appear once I had reported the issue and found them in a subsequent release having given them sufficient time to fix them.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

You find the bug, log the bug, and give them a chance to fix it. How much have you charged your clients over the years, and have you always been perfect?

If it's a bug and they refuse to accept it is, then you veer into whether it's acceptable or not.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        You find the bug, log the bug, and give them a chance to fix it. How much have you charged your clients over the years, and have you always been perfect?

If it's a bug and they refuse to accept it is, then you veer into whether it's acceptable or not.
        Their reply from PTC 'we knew it was there back in 2007, and a decision was taken that it was not a problem to prioritise'
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I don't think you can extrapolate your experience of a software product and apply it to all the software developed in the US. They produce a huge amount of software.

Comment

Their reply from PTC 'we knew it was there back in 2007, and a decision was taken that it was not a problem to prioritise'
            Some clients spend millions on COTS packages that are full of holes, bugs and tulip. Not every app is like this but believe me, some really are. They then spend a fortune customising a COTS package :Facepalm: even though it is full of said holes, and wait for them to be fixed. It matters not whether the vendor is in the US or the UK, it is the same.

If such large corporates and public sector orgs cannot change things then why do you think an SME will?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
              I don't think you can extrapolate your experience of a software product and apply it to all the software developed in the US. They produce a huge amount of software.
              I've just had some bad experiences from US goods. I'm sure it's just me.

From Ray-Ban sunglasses that fell apart. To software that was sold claiming to do one thing, but in fact it did not.

Even a pair of jeans 'citizens of humanity' 2nd time I'd wore them the stitching fell away.

Beware 'made in the USA'!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                Some clients spend millions on COTS packages that are full of holes, bugs and tulip. Not every app is like this but believe me, some really are. They then spend a fortune customising a COTS package :Facepalm: even though it is full of said holes, and wait for them to be fixed. It matters not whether the vendor is in the US or the UK, it is the same.

If such large corporates and public sector orgs cannot change things then why do you think an SME will?
                One model I'm producing the now is related to aircraft safety. When a vendor of my software tool can't tell the difference between Celsius or Fahrenheit... The impact to the result was radical. It's just astounding. It was just good fortune I questioned the result.

Comment

One model I'm producing the now is related to aircraft safety. When a vendor of my software tool can't tell the difference between Celsius or Fahrenheit... The impact to the result was radical. It's just astounding. It was just good fortune I questioned the result.
                  Is the software certified by FAA, CAA or EOCAE? How long have you been using the software?

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                    Is the software certified by FAA, CAA or EOCAE? How long have you been using the software?
                    no. 12+ years

Comment

Working...
                    X