• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The bad flying experience thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bad flying experience thread

Pop all your hair whitening stories in here. I have very little experience of flying compared say with MF so my yarns that I am about to espouse will sound trifling to those with serious air miles.

This morning was akip, when I was woken by a jolt. It was like the kind of jolt you would get if you drove over a kerb at 30mph. Quite sudden, quite unexpected and the sight of the window surround slamming into my head would have caused eek to have kittens.

Then there was a sudden throaty noise from the port engine, which seemed to echo at the back of the plane. This lasted for a few minutes then just as suddenly it stopped.

This required a nappy change.

Then a couple of weeks ago, while flying into Dusseldorf during a storm, there was the usual lumps and bumps, and the occasional rising in the stomach as we hit small air pockets.

Then there was a prolonged rising in the stomach, with the straps notably digging into my lap. This one I managed a slow count to 5 before it stopped.

Again, nappy and seat cushions needed changing.

Enough of these namby pamby experiences, let's hear yours. And no pasta stories!
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Here you go:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...uting-air.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1871604
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Just read the first link. Holeeeeeeeeeeeey smokes.

Thanks for the links matey

Comment

That second link reminds me of a flight back from Glasgow to Luton in 98 where we some lightning woofed it's way up the port side, end to end. The plane did bank sharply to the starboard, and in a kind of rapidly losing some height to get the fook outta there style.

The first person off the flight came from the flight deck and was dabbing his forehead with a hanky.

My mate who works for a well known airline said it was likely he was more worried about having done some damage to the plane and getting into grief with the airline than what we had just been through and was in a hurry to get off and check.

Comment

Flying back to Melbourne from Sydney... just about to touch the tarmac - sheep whizzing past looking almost close enough to touch (it wasn't Tullamarine - it was the small airstrip that the smaller JetStar planes use).
          Then suddenly it was full throttle and we blasted back up as if we were doing a very steep take-off.

It was just because the headwind suddenly changed to a tailwind just as we were about to touch down, but for those few seconds when the G force kicked in and the sudden engine roar woke everyone up, the first thing that was in my mind was that some other plane had pulled out of a taxiway in front of us.

The pilot took ages to explain. Would have been nice to get a heads up that nothing was broken sooner.

Comment

Spose he was too busy.

Comment

They ran out of Champagne on my last flight about half way through. I thought I was going to die !
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Stop worrying. It's only a an in-flight shut down or (IFSD) as we call it. LOTC is what you want to worry about, Loss of Thrust Control.

This one does not sound like a bird strike. Perhaps a mechanical failure. Interesting. I've had a few of those risk assessments in the past. The fun begins when you realise a part shares a s/n one-didgt away from the failure and is installed on the 2nd engine on the same a/c.

Don't panic. Scream.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Stop worrying. It's only a an in-flight shut down or (IFSD) as we call it. LOTC is what you want to worry about, Loss of Thrust Control.

This one does not sound like a bird strike. Perhaps a mechanical failure. Interesting. I've had a few of those risk assessments in the past. The fun begins when you realise a part shares a s/n one-didgt away from the failure and is installed on the 2nd engine on the same a/c.

Don't panic. Scream.
                  Funnily enough I did wonder if it was a bird strike. At that altitude the only kind of birds that can fly there it doesn't bear thinking about.

Comment

I had a bird strike on Singapore airlines once.
                    She was an air hostess named Chin Chow Sung. I was watching as things got lined up on her landing strip whan an increase in pressure caused a loss of thrust.
                    In the resulting turbulence her mask came down, worryingly, but then her mae west inflated, which was very welcome. I slowed to my turbulence penetration speed then lost my G-Load.

Afterwards, its normal to think it lasted ages. In fact it was all over in a few seconds
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X