• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Contractor IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Contractor IR35

Hi all, apologies as I know this has possibly been asked many times but here goes. I am a design engineer in the construction industry. It is common for people like myself to work either as employees or as contractors. I have always been permanent but have decided to go contract and have set up a limited company. I am completely new to all this and have an accountant.

I handed in my notice without any work lined up as I have a long notice period to negotiate. My employer use contractors all the time and asked me to stay on for a few months as a contractor. The contract and the working arrangements are undoubtedly outside IR35 but should I be particularly concerned about my own IR35 status under this arrangement, even if I'm only here for a short period?

Originally posted by ENG1 View Post
    Hi all, apologies as I know this has possibly been asked many times but here goes. I am a design engineer in the construction industry. It is common for people like myself to work either as employees or as contractors. I have always been permanent but have decided to go contract and have set up a limited company. I am completely new to all this and have an accountant.

I handed in my notice without any work lined up as I have a long notice period to negotiate. My employer use contractors all the time and asked me to stay on for a few months as a contractor. The contract and the working arrangements are undoubtedly outside IR35 but should I be particularly concerned about my own IR35 status under this arrangement, even if I'm only here for a short period?
    Yes - although it's not cast iron that remaining at the same employer whilst moving from PAYE to Ltd is an indication of false employment, staying on and doing exactly the same role is.

IR35 was set-up to prevent this, your current employer is looking to take advantage of you, whilst leaving you liable for the extra NI/tax that will be due if/when you're caught. I'd take offence and use this offer as a means of negotiating a sharp exit.

Comment

Originally posted by GazCol View Post
      Yes - although it's not cast iron that remaining at the same employer whilst moving from PAYE to Ltd is an indication of false employment, staying on and doing exactly the same role is.

IR35 was set-up to prevent this, your current employer is looking to take advantage of you, whilst leaving you liable for the extra NI/tax that will be due if/when you're caught. I'd take offence and use this offer as a means of negotiating a sharp exit.
      Friday-Monday?

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
        Friday-Monday?
        Friday-Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by ENG1 View Post
          The contract and the working arrangements are undoubtedly outside IR35 but should I be particularly concerned about my own IR35 status under this arrangement, even if I'm only here for a short period?
          If the contract and the working conditions are undoubtedly outside IR35, then why would you volunteer to pay more tax by declaring yourself inside?

Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            If the contract and the working conditions are undoubtedly outside IR35, then why would you volunteer to pay more tax by declaring yourself inside?

Because as a F-M contractor, he's clearly inside.
            World's Best Martini

Comment

Some reading for the OP...

IR35 Advice for Contractors - IR35 Guide

Contractors' Questions: Is contracting for my ex-employer inside IR35? :: Contractor UK
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
                Because as a F-M contractor, he's clearly inside.
                So the question is, what makes the OP think that the contract and working practices are undoubtedly outside IR35?
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  So the question is, what makes the OP think that the contract and working practices are undoubtedly outside IR35?
                  They probably are to a new contractor coming in fresh. It's him that breaks it.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My previous employer asked the same of me. There was no chance I was ever going to accept as one of my reasons for leaving was that I was fed up of the place. Also why start your contracting career with a bang to rights Inside IR35 contract, you may as well go with a brolly if you decide to stay on.

Comment

Working...
                    X