• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Video calls on 3g Andriod phone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video calls on 3g Andriod phone

I want to give my mum my old Andriod smart phone so she can do video calls to her gran kids etc, thing is my mum doesnt have broadband so I have to use a 3g / 4g data connection.

I have no idea about video calling I just wondered how realistic it is this will work using 3g or 4g or will it just be too slow ? Do both side of the call have to be using a mobile data connection or can one be on broadband and the other on 3g ? Also other issue is everyone else will be on Iphone were as my mum with be Andriod. How much data would I really need say 2-3 15mins video calls a month ?

thanks
    Last edited by ELBBUBKUNPS; 27 August 2014, 22:34.
    I like big butts and I cannot lie.

If she is going to use this primarily from home, then getting her broadband will probably be cheaper than paying for 3/4G. It doesn't matter if one side is on wifi and the other on 3/4G (as long as the software used supports video call over 3/4G FaceTime on iPhone 4 and earlier doesn't for example) as it's all going through the internet. The amount of traffic depends on the software you can try it.

Comment

Have you tried doing a 3G speed test at her house? Should give you an idea.

But WSS. Getting her broadband is probably going to work better and be cheaper.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
      X