• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dave Must Be Spitting Feathers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave Must Be Spitting Feathers

Tory defects to UKIP

Should be interesting in he by-election.

Interesting move. He didn't need to resign as MP, could have just changed party. Seems a reasonable thing to do though, under the circumstances.

Got a majority of 12000 according to his wikipedia page.

Comment

majority or not it is a tory safe seat not a vote for Douglas Carswell i'd imagine.

..a slap in the face for Dave though

Comment

Another side to it: Can I have my free golliwog now? asks Carswell
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Fantastic news!!

Comment

A politician resigns on principle and is prepared to put it to the voters.

A wonderful contrast to the appalling set in Rotherham.

Salute Mr Carswell!

Comment

A re-election should be mandatory when changing parties, you have to applaud him for doing so. 'Call me Dave' must be bricking it

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
                A re-election should be mandatory when changing parties, you have to applaud him for doing so. 'Call me Dave' must be bricking it
                Don't see why. The whole point of Parliamentary Democracy is that you elect your preferred representative, not the party they belong to. OK, Joe Public is way too uneducated to understand that, and the parties aren't about to tell them, but a mandatory re-election won't happen.

I have a different take: the guy is too minor to make a difference by himself and lacks the balls to stand up and say he disagrees with the Cabinet, so let's change hats and make sure everyone knows who I am. Unless he is an exceptional constituency MP - and most of his constituents won't know who the hell he is - he'll get smacked by the safe seat vote and disappear. If that happens, and it's the way to bet, Dave will be delighted that UKIP are having another egg-on-face moment.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Joe Public is way too uneducated to understand that, and the parties aren't about to tell them, but a mandatory re-election won't happen..
                  Absolutely. That's why you should be allocated a number of votes depending on how much tax you pay... Oh.. Hang on, that's not going to work is it

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I had a bit of banter with Carswell on Twitter and he spat the dummy when I accused his government of being spineless perhaps he was really feeling the same thing, hence the over-reaction.
                    Last edited by ZARDOZ; 28 August 2014, 13:29.

Comment

Working...
                    X