• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scrabble Algorithm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrabble Algorithm

What does the panel reckon the logic behind it is?

OK. Got a dictionary. OK got a board.

What is the word placing logic?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

shouldn't you be using this energy for things like plan b's and not scrabble

oh yeah, forgot you're sorteeeed with your sto k .

Is sto k really enough though that's the question ?

Milan.

Comment

AtW would recommend XSLT to implement your logic or failing that, assembly language.

The algorithm is not important, what's important are variables, loops and registers.

HTH

Comment

I implemented it on TI-85 while at school using big Oxford dictionary, I then played all crosswords and games in existance to make my first million that I spend buying parts for my future (if you look at it from the point of time in the past) time machine.

threaded.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
          The algorithm is not important, what's important are variables, loops and registers.
          None of which are present in XSLT...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            I implemented it on TI-85 while at school using big Oxford dictionary, I then played all crosswords and games in existance to make my first million that I spend buying parts for my future (if you look at it from the point of time in the past) time machine.

threaded.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
              What does the panel reckon the logic behind it is?

OK. Got a dictionary. OK got a board.

What is the word placing logic?

The basics are to get the highest value word possible from the available letters and place them on the highest scoring squares.

You also need to be able to take into account the available letters on the board and the combinations available with the letters in in hand. This needs to include the available space on the board as well as the letters that can be used.

In theory it should be relatively straightforward, you have a fixed range of parameters to consider, a fixed gamespace to work in and well defined rules for what does and doesnt work within the game rules.

The trick to actually playing well is not just to get the highest score possible from each word but to prevent your opponent scoreing as well. Since you dont know what letters they have this comes down to preventing them using the score multipliers on the board through tactical placement of yur own words. That could be the tricky bit if you are after a really effective computer player.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Just don't use Crystal Reports for it MF, you won't be able to bluff your way thorugh this one...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  None of which are present in XSLT...
                  Recursion is looping diptulip.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky
                    Recursion is looping diptulip.

Ummm, no.

A loop is a sequence of statements which is specified once but which may be carried out several times in succession. The code "inside" the loop, the body of the loop, is obeyed a specified number of times, or once for each of a collection of items, or until some condition is met.

A recursive procedure is one that in order to be completed may call itself a number of times in order to calculate the final result, not nessecerily in strict succession. For example:

A procedure is recursive if one of the steps that makes up the procedure calls for a new running of the procedure. Therefore a recursive four course meal would be a meal in which one of the choices of appetizer, salad, entrée, or dessert was an entire meal in itself. So a recursive meal might be potato skins, baby greens salad, chicken parmesan, and for dessert, a four course meal, consisting of crab cakes, Caesar salad, for an entrée, a four course meal, and chocolate cake for dessert, so on until each of the meals within the meals is completed.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X