• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Back on the Bench

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back on the Bench

Last day today, and its the 1st contract I've had that's been cut short. (project funding issues) and the fact I refused a perm offer with them.
    Oh Well , looking forward to some rest time with the family and taking my daughter to her 1st day of school.

Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
    taking my daughter to her 1st day of school.
    Awesome!!

Recently I've been scanning in lots of old photos, mostly of my kids. And kicking myself. I'll give this advice to anyone:

- Buy a good camera*
    - Take lots of photos

Wish I'd done this 20 years ago

* These days, because most everyone has a smartphone / digital camera of the quality that was almost unimaginable 20 years ago, this first piece of advice is now redundant

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      - Buy a good camera*
      - Take lots of photos
      - Print the best photos, rather than leaving them online

I can't remember the last time I thought "oh, I'll sit and look through my hard drive of pictures of the children", but we do go through the albums with them.

That said, I still haven't got past putting the second day of my safari pictures from this summer into albums.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        - Print the best photos, rather than leaving them online

I can't remember the last time I thought "oh, I'll sit and look through my hard drive of pictures of the children", but we do go through the albums with them.

That said, I still haven't got past putting the second day of my safari pictures from this summer into albums.
        ^^^ This! I must have a dozen empty photo frames around the house with the oft said proviso "yes, that'll look good with a photo of the family/kids in it."

It's on the to-do list anyway.

Cloudwalker, your daughter will never forget her first day at school be glad your there for it.

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
          looking forward to some rest time with the family and taking my daughter to her 1st day of school.
          I don't know what the etiquette is in these situation but surely that is worth a banana or something. Priceless....

(Give us the gen on the MILF situation when you get back!!)

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

- Buy a good camera*
            I can highly recommend the FUJIFILM X100S. Been using mine for exactly this purpose, to capture the memories. Some might not like the idea of having no zoom lens, but my goodness the quality of photography has much improved.

Taken with me x100s a couple of weeks ago

Last edited by scooterscot; 29 August 2014, 11:16.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              I can highly recommend the FUJIFILM X100S. Been using for exactly this purpose, to capture the memories. Some might not like the idea of having no zoom lens, but my goodness the quality of photography has much improved.
              I have bazillions of photos that I need to scan in, so many in fact that I'm dreading it and I'm seriously thinking of a scan cartridge especially for it, I know Epson do them, must have a looksee.

X100 is great my son has one and says it's wonderful.

If you are thinking of getting a Canon EOS70D, check it out in the store with a fast prime attached for front focussing, mine does it and there are many complaints across the web about it.

Kids grow so fast so make the time on the bench count

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post

If you are thinking of getting a Canon EOS70D, check it out in the store with a fast prime attached for front focussing, mine does it and there are many complaints across the web about it.
                Was put off going for another dSLR myself because I'd never seem to have it with me when it mattered. It seems like a very important point for me anyhow, memories don't plan themselves, so you need something you don't mind carrying with you all the time.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

And here's another, and not the full quality either. But the colours are lovely and true to what I saw with the naked eye.

Comment

I've been (voluntarily) benched for the last 2 months. Little's one first day at school is on Tuesday so am glad I'm around for that. Missed practically the whole 1st year as I was working away, but have enjoyed this home time a great deal. There will be tears on Tuesday!

Comment

Working...
                    X