• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone thinking of sending your kids to private school?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone thinking of sending your kids to private school?

Will be 3 yrs before we have to make the choice - but a long expensive road if this choice is made. Local juniors is in 'special measures', so 3 years for them to turn around if not prep school for our little gorillas.
    Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 30 August 2014, 07:38.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Try Mumsnet.
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
      Try Mumsnet.
      Duh! Private school. It's for people what can afford it

In answer to the OP, Bacchus Minimus has just come out of the private school system, and **** me it's a relief.

I wouldn't have had it any other way, and in all honesty he is a great lad of whom I am very proud, and he is just off to study a five year taught masters in Chiropractic, of which I am also very proud.

We've made some excellent friends from the "school gate", and have had some great times at regattas, rugby matches etc, but the Uni fees of nine grand a year are a refreshing pittance after boarding fees of around thirty!

Would I do it again? No. But then I am getting older and don't want to be tied to a desk, there are alternatives. Would I do it again if I was thirty again and could afford it? Yes, I bloody would, but bear in mind that you start going without the equivalent of a brand new vauxhall Corsa EVERY year, and finish going without the equivalent of a year old Porsche. Every year.
      Last edited by Bacchus; 30 August 2014, 09:27.

Comment

Bacchus,

Small wonder that various friends and colleagues have been envious of my ability to take bench time in my stride...
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

There's some quite good advice (as usual hidden among the tulipe) in this thread:
          http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ic-school.html

The best advice being from me

Originally posted by Platypus
          If you're serious about sending your kids to public school, just remember that it costs a bloody fortune and I'd advise anyone to ensure that they can pay for it not out of income (which can go down as well as up) but from savings. Because if the going gets tough, it's a terrible thing to pull a "posh" kid from a public school and put them into the local comp, where they'll be ripped for their first year. I speak from bitter experience.
          EDIT, oh, and this:

Originally posted by Platypus
          Bright, well motivated kids will do well at a good comprehensive - save your money.
          I know of several children who achieved great A-Level results, places at Oxford, Cambridge and other top unis, achieving firsts, who went to the local comp.
          Last edited by Platypus; 30 August 2014, 13:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post

In answer to the OP, Bacchus Minimus has just come out of the private school system, and **** me it's a relief.

I wouldn't have had it any other way, and in all honesty he is a great lad of whom I am very proud, and he is just off to study a five year taught masters in Chiropractic, of which I am also very proud.

We've made some excellent friends from the "school gate", and have had some great times at regattas, rugby matches etc, but the Uni fees of nine grand a year are a refreshing pittance after boarding fees of around thirty!

Would I do it again? No. But then I am getting older and don't want to be tied to a desk, there are alternatives. Would I do it again if I was thirty again and could afford it? Yes, I bloody would, but bear in mind that you start going without the equivalent of a brand new vauxhall Corsa EVERY year, and finish going without the equivalent of a year old Porsche. Every year.
            Vey helpful. We're kind of at this conversational stage ourselves.

I wonder is freelance income of £100k+ a year make all affordable at a push or more? Potentially with two children..
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Private school - oh yes

We did it with our daughter, local comp was a disaster area.. Never looked back and happy at the outlay!

But she was bright and we knew it so we asked for a bursary and were happy for her to sit any exam. She won the maths scholarship which was a 25% reduction. So try the bursary route 1st!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

I know of several children who achieved great A-Level results, places at Oxford, Cambridge and other top unis, achieving firsts, who went to the local comp.
                There are local comps (though most are now called "academies") and there are local comps.

Moving house may be cheaper than ending up at the former.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  There are local comps (though most are now called "academies") and there are local comps.

Moving house may be cheaper than ending up at the former.
                  It is cheaper to move to an area with good schools, as you will get the money back when you no longer need them and move away...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Use the money to move to an area with good schools. And/or go to church and get them into the church primary.

IMO, best thing you can do for them is to get them reading before they start school. The school then has them pegged as bright and sets expectations accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                    X