• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish independence: capital flight, or a wise precaution?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scottish independence: capital flight, or a wise precaution?

I have a substantial retained profit in my Scottish company at the moment, and I'd like to move it out of the reach of the Scottish Government in the unlikely event that they gain independence on the 18th.

Do the panel have any suggestions as to how this can be done?
    Last edited by JustinTime; 1 September 2014, 10:56.
    Error 404: Signature not found.

An offshore loan trust will keep it out of their reaches.....
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      An offshore loan trust will keep it out of their reaches.....
      Offshore being Devon in this instance?

Comment

Plenty of time.

Independence won't happen on the 19th September, it will be 16th March 2016 so you wil have time to move your money if that's what you want to do.

Although, with Corporation Tax likely to be 2% lower in Scotland, I don't know why you would want to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
          Plenty of time.

Independence won't happen on the 19th September, it will be 16th March 2016 so you wil have time to move your money if that's what you want to do.
          I'm just getting in ahead of the rush...
          Or should that be 'out'?

Although, with Corporation Tax likely to be 2% lower in Scotland, I don't
          know why you would want to do that?
          Corporation tax will be the least of the considerations when the wee Eck's New Groats are revalued on the World's markets.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinTime View Post
            Corporation tax will be the least of the considerations when the wee Eck's New Groats are revalued on the World's markets.
            Then open a business savings account with an English bank and put your loot there. Don't see any problem TBH.

Comment

Plenty of time.

Although, with Corporation Tax likely to be 2% lower in Scotland, I don't know why you would want to do that?
              Because it will be outside the EU?
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Because it will be outside the EU?
                Will it?

Comment

Will it?
                  While it's possible it may remain in the eu, the only true answer is nobody knows . Although the discussions I've seen with actual lawyers who know what the treaties actual say imply that it could easily be vetoed if a country or two (Spain, France, Italy) wish to be awkward
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by borderreiver View Post
                    Then open a business savings account with an English bank and put your loot there. Don't see any problem TBH.
                    Yes, that might be the simplest option, but I had hoped that there would be a more creative solution. Maybe something that would put some distance between the .SCO and any .UK entity.

Oh well, maybe not.

Comment

Working...
                    X