• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bored? Burnt out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bored? Burnt out?

No it's not the post-holiday blues, I've felt like this for a while now.

Despite everything on paper looking very nice (big rate, long contract duration, regular working from home, nice people, laid back office, no stress), I am just completely and utterly fed up with contracting. Yes I know I'm in a privileged position and most people would love to have the opportunities that I have but I can't help it. I'm actually beginning to resent what I do for a living.

Originally posted by oliverson View Post

Despite everything on paper looking very nice (big rate, long contract duration, regular working from home, nice people, laid back office, no stress), I am just completely and utterly fed up with contracting. Yes I know I'm in a privileged position and most people would love to have the opportunities that I have but I can't help it. I'm actually beginning to resent what I do for a living.
    All that glitters......

Comment

DILLIGAF
      I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by TheDandy View Post
        All that glisters......
        FTFY...

Comment

Couldn't put it better myself - exactly how I feel.

However, I'm planning to make the best of the unique opportunity offered to me though and start to work 6-8 months per annum. There aren't many positions out there that allows this freedom so I aim to exploit it.

If I didn't have that opportunity I really don't think I could face this job full-time.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            FTFY...
            The 'glitters' version of this phrase is so long established as to be perfectly acceptable - especially as 'glisters' and 'glitters' mean the same thing. Only the most pedantic insist that 'all that glisters is not gold' is correct and that 'all that glitters is not gold', being a misquotation, however cobweb-laden, should be shunned. John Dryden was quite happy to use 'glitters' as long ago as 1687, in his poem The Hind and the Panther:

For you may palm upon us new for old:
            All, as they say, that glitters, is not gold.

FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by TheDandy View Post
              The 'glitters' version of this phrase is so long established as to be perfectly acceptable - especially as 'glisters' and 'glitters' mean the same thing. Only the most pedantic insist that 'all that glisters is not gold' is correct and that 'all that glitters is not gold', being a misquotation, however cobweb-laden, should be shunned. John Dryden was quite happy to use 'glitters' as long ago as 1687, in his poem The Hind and the Panther:

For you may palm upon us new for old:
              All, as they say, that glitters, is not gold.

FTFY
              I'm not a kiddie-fiddler! How dare thee!

Comment

Every contractor worth his salt has an escape plan, a plan b.

Contracting is just a quick way to fund a better future.

MTFU.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Contracting is just a quick way to fund a better future for the ex.

MTFU.

FTFY
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Financial security was, and always has been, my goal since I started working. Whatever you define financial security to be should also be your goal.

Are you financially secure yet? If so, pack it all in and do whatever makes you happy. If not, suck it up and continue to bank as much coin as you can, while you still can.

Make hay while the sun shines....

Comment

Working...
                    X