• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

voluntarily benching yourself

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

voluntarily benching yourself

Anyone else done it? First time in eleven years of contracting I've declined an extension with no other work to go to. Don't like the excrement they've got me shovelling

I always take time off between contracts, last few gigs I have turned down extensions because I am ready for some time off
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Yes. Some years back, I turned down a six month extension because I hated the client, the people, the work and the location.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Kudos to those that have but I'm yet to do it. I've taken steps to get out of places, sure, but always with a safety net of somewhere else to go.

Numerous longish stretches out of contract, one of which almost completely consumed my rather marvellous war chest, have made me a bit more conservative than I would really like to admit.

Comment

Twelve months here has tested my tolerance to the limit. I hope I don't regret it and I don't think I will

Comment

I've had plenty bench time over the years, most of it of my choosing, but I've not yet refused an extension to do it.

I guess I can put up with lots of tulipe before I see the need to bench myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Avalonia View Post
              Anyone else done it? First time in eleven years of contracting I've declined an extension with no other work to go to. Don't like the excrement they've got me shovelling
              I did it a couple years back, couldn't stand the office or the work. Took a couple months off and then started the worst contract ever. Two crappy contracts in a row, but luckily was saved by an old customer, nice people, nice work and a nice office.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Yes. Some years back, I turned down a six month extension because I hated the client, the people, the work and the location.
                Same as above.

I'm doing it again right now too.

Comment

Originally posted by Avalonia View Post
                  Did that very thing recently. It wasn't that I disliked the client as they were great for the most part even if they were very demanding. I'd just got to the point where I wanted a break, recharge the batteries then try something new.

I have found that people look at you as if you are crazy when you say you are leaving to take a break without something else lined up.... This does seem to fly in the face of the perceived wisdom of "keep calm and carry on invoicing" espoused on this very forum and from discussion with other contractors.
                  Last edited by ShandyDrinker; 2 September 2014, 16:27.

Comment

Turned down a six month extension in February after deciding it was time for a holiday. Two months into the holiday, I got a call from an ex-client for an eight month boom.

Very good rate + 15 minute commute + Not more than 7 hours a day = Extended holiday

Comment

Working...
                    X