• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I don't speak the lingo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't speak the lingo

but...

http://rt.com/news/184456-ukraine-pa...ing-criticism/

Seems to verify my understanding so far.

I don't understand why everyone seems to think Putin the the bad guy in all of this (oh, yeah... 'cause the talking heads on the telly told them so).

The version I saw on tv had subtitles, but basically she got cut off and told to kneel before the Ukrainian army.

That'll be the Ukrainian army that's so loaded with glory & honour that they have to be conscripted, while Poroshenko orders them not to retreat through the Russian negotiated channel, and fight to the death.

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    but...

I don't understand why everyone seems to think Putin the the bad guy in all of this (oh, yeah... 'cause the talking heads on the telly told them so).

The version I saw on tv had subtitles, but basically she got cut off and told to kneel before the Ukrainian army.

That'll be the Ukrainian army that's so loaded with glory & honour that they have to be conscripted, while Poroshenko orders them not to retreat through the Russian negotiated channel, and fight to the death.
    The annexation of Crimea has made me a bit suspicious.

Comment

but...

RT is an organ of the Russian Government, and the Russian Army is full of conscripts too, which every Russian man 18-28 does his best to avoid, google 'Dedovshchina'. When I was in Russia I lost count of the number of times an impeccably suited Russian Soldier tried to beg money off me.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        RT is an organ of the Russian Government, and the Russian Army is full of conscripts too, which every Russian man 18-28 does his best to avoid, google 'Dedovshchina'. When I was in Russia I lost count of the number of times an impeccably suited Russian Soldier tried to beg money off me.
        What do either of those points have to do with anything?

Comment

What do either of those points have to do with anything?
          That RT cannot be trusted to be objective and the Russian army is just as conscripted as the Ukrainian one.

The last bit was a bit of flavour....

Comment

That RT cannot be trusted to be objective
            That's why I say that I don't speak the lingo. But I'm working on the assumption that RT wouldn't broadcast footage that could so easily be refuted by someone who does, and that anyone who could - would.
            I could just as easily say that the BBC can't be trusted to be objective

and the Russian army is just as conscripted as the Ukrainian one.

The last bit was a bit of flavour....
            Fair enough. I'm not really setting up a Ukraine vs Russia scenario though. Just pointing out that something really ugly is brewing in Ukraine, and 'the west' seems to be choosing the wrong side again, just as happened in Libya & Syria.

Comment

Working...
            X