• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brendan O'Neill

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brendan O'Neill

He is firmly behind the "No" vote!

Scottish independence: Better Together needs to ditch the bullied-kid act and discover some principles – Telegraph Blogs

He sums it up all rather nicely:

As someone who very much hopes that Scots vote No on 18 September and refuse to allow their nation to become the tinpot outpost of narrow-minded identity politics and nanny statism that the SNP dreams of,

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

I prefer:

Scots voting no to independence would be an astonishing act of self-harm

Imagine the question posed the other way round. An independent nation is asked to decide whether to surrender its sovereignty to a larger union. It would be allowed a measure of autonomy, but key aspects of its governance would be handed to another nation. It would be used as a military base by the dominant power and yoked to an economy over which it had no control.

It would have to be bloody desperate.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      He is firmly behind the "No" vote!

Scottish independence: Better Together needs to ditch the bullied-kid act and discover some principles – Telegraph Blogs

He sums it up all rather nicely:

As someone who very much hopes that Scots vote No on 18 September and refuse to allow their nation to become the tinpot outpost of narrow-minded identity politics and nanny statism that the SNP dreams of,

I agree with the sentiment that the better together campaign is failing miserably.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        I agree with the sentiment that the better together campaign is failing miserably.
        Perhaps that is what Cameron wants
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

It's hard to make a case for a status quo, especially one where a lot people are already dissatisfied. The Yes campaign can promise the world with no evidence to back it up and it will appeal to people who think "well, it can't be any worse". On Facebook I've seen probably 10:1 ratio of Yes campaigners to No campaigners. They are far more motivated and aggressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
            It's hard to make a case for a status quo, especially one where a lot people are already dissatisfied. The Yes campaign can promise the world with no evidence to back it up and it will appeal to people who think "well, it can't be any worse". On Facebook I've seen probably 10:1 ratio of Yes campaigners to No campaigners. They are far more motivated and aggressive.
            IMV that aggression is why the No voters are keeping their heads down.
            Error 404: Signature not found.

Comment

The debate usually goes like this...

"I am quite happy with things as they are"

"So you don't mind foodbanks then, kids are starving every night because of people like you, we wont have an NHS because of you, money spent on weapons of mass destruction rather than on cancer victims, you are killing kids with cancer"

Most tend to avoid people who are behaving hysterically and irrationally, it is tough now that we have to engage with them rationally over subjects so important.

Anyway, I seen Jim Murphy speak 2 weeks ago and there should have been arrests, it was truly bonkers the level of abuse and intimidation that he and his followers were met with. All orchestrated online previously I must add by the nationalists as I seen myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                Same here - one friend in particular aggressively 'yes'. My cousins haven't mentioned it - that probably means they're 'no's as the 'yes' lot do shout loudly.

Comment

Same here - one friend in particular aggressively 'yes'. My cousins haven't mentioned it - that probably means they're 'no's as the 'yes' lot do shout loudly.
                  “An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”
                  ― Plato
                  Error 404: Signature not found.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinTime View Post
                    IMV that aggression is why the No voters are keeping their heads down.
                    so just like a night out in town when a Scottish regiment was bunked at Aldershot.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X