• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Admin isn't my strong point" management consultant cleared of fraud

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Admin isn't my strong point" management consultant cleared of fraud

Linky

A finance boss who mistakenly claimed nearly £45,000 in expenses has been cleared of fraud after he explained: 'Admin is not my strong suit.'

Brian Chapman, 55, a management consultant at KPMG, was sacked from his £104,000 a year job after bosses discovered the mistake in 2012.

He had double-claimed or even triple-claimed for international flights, luxury hotels and mobile phone bills over a five-year period. Chapman, who lives with his wife in Scotland but worked in London, admitted he had made false claims during his police interview in December 2012.

But he said it was an honest mistake and offered to repay the funds. Chapman was cleared of fraud after an Old Bailey jury failed to reach a verdict in his retrial.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Of course he got off. He is rich and had a good lawyer.

Comment

I did exactly the same this month, realised that I had claimed for a flight to be paid back to me, only to discover that in fact it was paid on my credit card. I immediately alerted Finance.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        I did exactly the same this month, realised that I had claimed for a flight to be paid back to me, only to discover that in fact it was paid on my credit card. I immediately alerted Finance.
        +1. Easy to make mistakes.

MyCo once claimed mileage at too high a rate from a client (they had a higher rate for the first 6500 miles per year or something like that). Fortunately I found out before anyone else, told them and paid it back.

Comment

It's easily done, Harry Redknapp's accountant was his dog.

Comment

This speaks volumes about the quality of consultant you get from KPMG, PWC et al.

Vive la travailleur indépendant!

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              This speaks volumes about the quality of consultant you get from KPMG, PWC et al.

Vive la travailleur indépendant!
              Indeed anyone who earns £104,000 per year but cannot correctly fill in an expense claim is either

a) Not worth £104,000 per year (who would want to be advised by someone who is unable to follow a process millions can?)

b) A lying fecker

I think we know the answer is b

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                Indeed anyone who earns £104,000 per year but cannot correctly fill in an expense claim is either

a) Not worth £104,000 per year (who would want to be advised by someone who is unable to follow a process millions can?)

b) A lying fecker

I think we know the answer is b
                Or

c) Too busy.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Or

c) Too busy.
                  Lol yeah to busy to not just fill it in once but 2 or 3 times for the same items.

Comment

Five years of overclaiming from presumably multiple clients? The incompetence is hardly just his.

Comment

Working...
                    X