• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Radar days.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radar days.

Moderately interesting thing about Watson Watt on bbc2 this evening.

Taffy Bowen (born in Cockett, see, boyo) was in it.

Sort of drama-ed up the drama for suspense & I'm not convinced the implied timing of events was exactly accurate, but it filled an otherwise tedious hour & a half.

And I didn't fall asleep, which I usually do with Horizon these days.

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Moderately interesting thing about Watson Watt on bbc2 this evening.

Taffy Bowen (born in Cockett, see, boyo) was in it.

Sort of drama-ed up the drama for suspense & I'm not convinced the implied timing of events was exactly accurate, but it filled an otherwise tedious hour & a half.

And I didn't fall asleep, which I usually do with Horizon these days.
    Cockett Road in Swansea being the place where I got my first ever speeding ticket in 2011 after 30 driving years with nothing. 34 in a 30, Sun Morning, damn the Heddlu.....

Comment

I recorded it. Not sure if I'll get round to watching it as I think I can guess the ending: they did invent RADAR. Am I right?
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Cockett Road in Swansea being the place where I got my first ever speeding ticket in 2011 after 30 driving years with nothing. 34 in a 30, Sun Morning, damn the Heddlu.....
        It's what we pay our taxes for, innit?

Mrs IJNTTI got nabbed there as well last year.

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
          It's what we pay our taxes for, innit?

Mrs IJNTTI got nabbed there as well last year.
          It's still a source of amazement to me seven years later that I never got done driving London-Swansea and back every week for nine months. It seems every bridge over the M4 in Wales is populated by a man in a camera van.
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I wonder how many appreciate modern day radio detection and ranging in phased arrays when mapping the surface of Mars and asteroids. Amazing topographical maps.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              And every time you heat sommat up in a popty-ping, thank Mr Randall & Mr Boot.

Oh, and Mr Colt.
              FTFY!

Comment

Ah, good old end-fire arrays and their lobes.

I remember learning about radar at Willesdon Poly.

It's probably the University of Dollis Hill now.

Comment

Not a specific mention of the Magnatron (except in the posts above), although it was alluded to.

Comment

Mostly because it wasn't used in Chain Home or Chain Home low, which were HF and VHF rather than centimetric.

Plus it was invented in 1940.

None of the kit shown seemed capable of producing the sort of power levels (300kW?) that were mentioned.

You need big valves (really big valves) for that power level.

And it cooks you if you're not careful with it.

Speaking of big valves, here's one from the Chain Home Low transmitter:

The Museum of Technology, the Great War and WWII"
                    Last edited by zeitghost; 6 June 2017, 13:28.

Comment

Working...
                    X