PDA

View Full Version : Mass troop movements

dazza12
26th May 2005, 14:27
Over the last week or so, there's been several large convoys of military equipment travelling through the South West, particularly along the A303, A358 and the M5 heading SW.

There's been miles of various equipment, 30 RAF fuel tankers this morning, loads of troop carriers and various vehicle carriers. Mod-Plod's are dotted around everywhere. A load of Chinook's have just flown overhead as well.

Anyone know what's going on? I can only assume they're piling down to Plymouth to be shipped to a new war zone. However, I thought Iran wasn't happening for at least 2 years?

trajectory
26th May 2005, 14:47
They're heading down to shaunbhoys place for a squaddie reunion.

He was so popular, don't you know?

wobbegong
26th May 2005, 15:01
It could be to do with this. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4579963.stm)

planetit
26th May 2005, 15:17
Last weekend they were all heading north up the M5. Presumably some kind of exercise blowing up things in South Wales. I’d have thought they were the wrong colour for Iraq. Threaded should know. In fact I think it was him driving all the trucks.

OwlHoot
26th May 2005, 15:24
> particularly along the A303, A358 and the M5 heading SW.

Oh God, not the M5. I was planning to drive down there this weekend, and it's bad enough with caravans and horse boxes without smoke-belching squaddiemobiles trundling along at 10 MPH.

Edit: Come to think of it, didn't the Government claim a while back they were planning a crack down on caravans? Maybe at last they're doing more than just talk, and the troops are digging in along the M5 ready for the weekend. Shaun will be pleased!

DodgyAgent
26th May 2005, 17:12
I drove up the M3 this afternoon on the way back from Portsmouth and noticed a "plain clothes" police Skoda pulled up behind an unsuspecting motorist on the hard shoulder. I also noticed large numbers of military vehicles albeit with red crosses on them, so whatever is going on they seem to be anticipating casualties.. which means that it probably is a shaunboy reunion :rollin :rollin

BTW you car experts..
Does a Skoda beat a Mondeo?

sasguru
26th May 2005, 17:17
Depends which Skoda and which Mondeo

SG in "Car Geek" Mode...

MisterGoof
26th May 2005, 17:18
Any skoda will beat OH's Mondeo:rollin

SupremeSpod
26th May 2005, 21:30
BTW you car experts..
Does a Skoda beat a Mondeo?

And the correct geeky-boy answer is....

"Not according to top-trumps!"

OrangeHopper
26th May 2005, 22:09
Cheeky git Goof!

fiddleabout
26th May 2005, 23:10
> a "plain clothes" police Skoda

Please tell me this is a wind up.

SupremeSpod
27th May 2005, 06:58
Nope, 'tis true, seen 'em meself!

Spod - In "Off to work" mode!

OrangeHopper
27th May 2005, 08:23
I have seen both plain and fancy police skodas.

Of course, they didn't see me because I was going too ....

SupremeSpod
27th May 2005, 08:49
Of course, they didn't see me because I was going...

...to the phone to ring the RAC, 'cos my shitbox mondeo wouldn't start again?

IsItOver
27th May 2005, 09:43
Whenever they are about to kick something off several things happen in my part of the World.

1. Big increase in military fighters on training missions.

2. Big movement of tanks down to West Wales for target practice on the firing ranges.

3. Loads of heavy aircraft flying over in the middle of the night - flying so high that you cannot see them but in such large numbers that you can hear a loud drone which sometimes goes on for an hour or more. That's alot of planes.

clownio
27th May 2005, 09:45
fancy police skodas.

What is the world coming to - next we know they'll be driving Fiat Cinquicentos

mr blobby
27th May 2005, 10:00
I was in Malaga airport last summer - standing in the check-in queue with the chavs - when this electric powered police car started driving round insied the terminal - sort of a small Smart car - a bit like this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1805000/images/_1809106_car300.jpg