• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

And there it was: gone.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And there it was: gone.

Looked like a nice cottage too, if you like 500 year old dung infested walls.

isted thatched cottage worth £350,000 collapses into street after cob walls caved in
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/listed-tha...3.html#W2Ifl0m

Before:

Last edited by zeitghost; 6 June 2017, 13:23.

A good proportion of that 350K is the land in that location and the permission to build a home on it.

Plus water, sewage, leccy and maybe gas connections.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Was being renovated when it happened.

Methinks a contractor involved wasn't doing their job correctly.

Comment

Be interesting to see if English Heritage get a court order to force the reconstruction.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          A good proportion of that 350K is the land in that location and the permission to build a home on it.

Plus water, sewage, leccy and maybe gas connections.
          Before you know it, an insurance claim is put in by the developers, and a Tesco Express will be built on the same spot. (And a councillor suddenly finds the money to buy himself a nice new sports car)

Comment

£350k for a mud hut. FFS
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
              Before you know it, an insurance claim is put in by the developers, and a Tesco Express will be built on the same spot. (And a councillor suddenly finds the money to buy himself a nice new sports car)
              Not for a listed building it won't.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Not for a listed building it won't.
                Yes but it listed a bit too far and fell right over!

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

If you like 500 year old dung infested walls
                  Year before last I was trying to find a way to render a breeze block wall down the garden and did a bit of research into materials. Amazing how poo and pee were significant ingredients in building in the past.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Year before last I was trying to find a way to render a breeze block wall down the garden and did a bit of research into materials. Amazing how poo and pee were significant ingredients in building in the past.
                    High availability materials I suppose and certainly available in most water sources back then

Comment

Working...
                    X