• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bona Vacantia - that was an unpleasant surprise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bona Vacantia - that was an unpleasant surprise

I voluntarily wound up my company upon moving abroad.

I have never heard of bona vacantia so kept about GBP3000 in the business account to pay for any tax problems etc.

My business was dissolved and immediately under bona vacantia all of my money was passed to the government.

Everything I read is in legalese and I have no idea what my options are to get my money back.

I feel like a fool as I was trying to "do the right thing" by keeping some money in the business account.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Go to Companies House and restore the company.

Then go to https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-repay...e-register-cb4 and follow the instructions.

Then speak to your accountant about closing down properly.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Yet another case when trying to save cash by doing something yourself, which you don't understand, has actually cost you money.

Take note, use a professional, and by that I mean a qualified person, not one of the many unqualified wasters out there.
      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
        Yet another case when trying to save cash by doing something yourself, which you don't understand, has actually cost you money.

Take note, use a professional, and by that I mean a qualified person, not one of the many unqualified wasters out there.
        Or research your actions before you take them. All of the information that you require to efficiently and successfully close a company is freely available to anyone. Had the OP checked on the process of company closure with Co House, HMRC (tax & VAT) and their accountant, this could have been avoided.

OP, I'm not being smug, just a little pointer to anyone else considering closure.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Then speak to your accountant about closing down properly.
          We have all our closure clients sign a letter to us confirming, amongst other things:

~ all taxes paid
          ~ all debts paid
          ~ bank account closed

With an explanation of why this is important.

On average once a year someone signs, presumably "just something for the accountant", and lets the company be struck off with a few grand in the account.

Frustrating.

Comment

Working...
          X