• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT Contractor digs up a fortune

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT Contractor digs up a fortune

Minted! Dug up in a Midlands field, a £1m 'perfect' US threepenny bit from the time of Pilgrim Fathers | Mail Online

When it was minted 350 years ago, there wouldn’t have been much change from a slap-up meal and a few of pints of ale.

Today the silver threepenny coin that amateur treasure-hunter John Stoner dug up in a farmer’s field would probably buy the entire farm.

The extremely rare New England coin, bearing the date 1652, is expected to sell for up to £1million when it is auctioned.

It has been hailed as one of the finest examples of a currency produced in the days of the Pilgrim Fathers in a land that would become the United States.

How the 17th century threepenny bit ended up in the village of King’s Clipstone, Nottinghamshire, is not known but last night coin collectors from around the world clamoured to buy it.

Mr Stoner, who temporarily mislaid the coin at one point, found it while on an outing with the Coil To The Soil metal detector club on Sunday.

The 42-year-old father of two had only just started to sweep an area of the ploughed field when he picked up two signals from the detector.

The first was from a random piece of metal; the second was from an uneven, hand-hammered coin, about the size of a modern 1p but thinner, buried five inches deep in a clod of earth.

‘I dug up the soil and out it popped,’ he said of the historic find. ‘At first I didn’t think it was anything special. I knew it wasn’t English, but just how important a find it was, I didn’t have a clue.’
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Jordan also made a fortune of her threepenny bits

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
      Boom-tish!

My brother lives in Kings Clipstone. Sadly on a new-build estate. That's not gonna stop me rotavating his lawn tomorrow though

Comment

‘I think there’ll be enough to buy me some new clothes and pay a few bills,’
        He could definitely do with some new trousers...

Comment

Not IT Contractor -"self-employed IT consultant". Maybe ipse have a point...

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
            Never knew Ms Price was an IT contractor.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              Never knew Ms Price was an IT contractor.
              More THEM than IT.

(With apologies to Dorothy Parker )

Comment

Working...
              X