• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Let's hope for another mild winter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's hope for another mild winter

Europe Goes "All In": Will Sanction Rosneft, Gazprom Neft And Transneft | Zero Hedge

So if there are disruptions to the gas supply, or the threat of such, I can see Joe public going out and buying up ever fan and convector heater going.

Then a cold snap comes and everyone plugs in, the grid can't cope and were all sitting in dark cold houses.

Now I know Luton isn't Siberia, but I do have little ones and I worry.

The first thought that came to mind was to get a portable gas heater. But then again IIRC the gas bottle only last a week, and by this time will be scarce.

So, how will you prepare for a long cold snap if there is the threat of no gas and no electricity?

And no smucking fart replies about fires from the nuclear strikes, I'm being serious.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    So, how will you prepare for a long cold snap if there is the threat of no gas and no electricity?
    Of couse if the electric goes then so does the water supply.

Maybe I should join my mate who is ready for Nibiru. Tinned food. Bottles of water. Wet wipes. And most importantly a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Of couse if the electric goes then so does the water supply.

Maybe I should join my mate who is ready for Nibiru. Tinned food. Bottles of water. Wet wipes. And most importantly a gun.
      It does.

Tit.

Comment

And no smucking fart replies about fires from the nuclear strikes, I'm being serious.
        I've just got a couple of cubic metres of logs delivered. From Russia, ironically enough. At least i'll be able to heat my tins of beans up

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
          I've just got a couple of cubic metres of logs delivered. From Russia, ironically enough. At least i'll be able to heat my tins of beans up
          Considered this. Log burners are quite expensive to install. Plus you need a lot of wood to heat a 3 bed semi for a whole winter.

Coal fire struck me as a good option?

Comment

Buy a jumper.

Comment

Warm underwear:

Thick jumper:

Lots of facial hair:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Coal fire struck me as a good option?
                It isn't. 20% efficient vs 80% for a stove. Which will burn coal too. It would need to be an old house to have a decent enough chimney (class 1 iirc) to have an open grate.

Couple of grand for a decent stove installed.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  Buy a jumper.
                  This. And coats on your beds.

Comment

We apparently survived the harsh winter of 1947 with reduced supplies - perhaps as a nation we just need to mtfu

If it happened then options appear to be:

Shut off your water supply and piss off to somewhere warmer for the duration

Get a source that's off the grid to produce heat / hot water installed i.e. wood/ hippy burner

Install private genny to provide electricity (£1200 ish for a 5kw diesel jobby - bonus legitimate reason to buy red diesel for your car)

Accept that we are not a big importer of gas so would only be affected by rising prices rather than loss of supply (in which case buy shares in Centrica BG etc)

HTH
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X