• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone here buy shares?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here buy shares?

So I've just opened an account with an online platform. I had a fancy to buy some Apple shares.

Now I have a window open full of terminology and stuff I just don't understand. Upon reflection, are these online accounts suitable for the occasional investor, what with quarterly fees?

If you wanted to invest a small sum such as £1000 in shares, how would you do it?

I'm now thinking I should get the hell out before I wade into this minefield. I never envisaged being a regular trader.

Any views / thoughts ?

What platform are you using?

There are quite a few of us on here who brought post office shares then sold them asap.

Also if you want to hold your shares longer term you can use a share ISA.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The fact that you are asking some basic questions would mean you are better off not venturing into it.
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

I've opened an account at youinvest but like you I don't know what half of it all means. I managed somehow to open a SIPPs account and stick it all on the cheapest UK tracker.

I will at some point look at enhancing my er, portfolio but I can see how not all the population is trading shares.

Comment

There is always a fool in the market. If you don't know it, you are the fool.

Comment

I've closed the account

Comment

You don't want to be investing in individual shares as an average punter, unless it's purely for fun. You won't beat the index-linked funds or diversified ETFs long-term. Also, if you're interested in US shares, bear in mind that you'll get shafted on the exchange rates via most online platforms and you'll also need to complete a W8-BEN so that the IRS can withhold taxes on your gains in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                I've opened an account at youinvest but like you I don't know what half of it all means. I managed somehow to open a SIPPs account and stick it all on the cheapest UK tracker.

I will at some point look at enhancing my er, portfolio but I can see how not all the population is trading shares.
                It's not really hard to research it all thanks to the internet.

Though you should know why you have put it in a tracker.......
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

How to make a small fortune buying shares? Start with a big one.

Before I got involved in IT I worked for a stockbroker and eventually made it onto the market floor. I made a few quid with new issues and a bit more getting tips from other brokers but it's not for the faint hearted.

Try a wee experiment, choose a few stocks and invest £1k virtually. Keep a spreadsheet or notes on the movement + or - for a few months and see how your investment would have worked out had you actually spent actual cash. Add to your portfolio if you keep an eye on business news, you'll figure out what's important or worth taking a gamble on. There may be online services that offer such simulation but I haven't looked.

I still have a portfolio that brings in a small yearly dividend from shares purchased years ago and if I sold today I'd be in profit. Just ca' canny if your going to get involved.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                    How to make a small fortune buying shares? Start with a big one.

Before I got involved in IT I worked for a stockbroker and eventually made it onto the market floor. I made a few quid with new issues and a bit more getting tips from other brokers but it's not for the faint hearted.

Try a wee experiment, choose a few stocks and invest £1k virtually. Keep a spreadsheet or notes on the movement + or - for a few months and see how your investment would have worked out had you actually spent actual cash. Add to your portfolio if you keep an eye on business news, you'll figure out what's important or worth taking a gamble on. There may be online services that offer such simulation but I haven't looked.

I still have a portfolio that brings in a small yearly dividend from shares purchased years ago and if I sold today I'd be in profit. Just ca' canny if your going to get involved.
                    Excellent advice, start virtually or simply treat it as a bit of fun, which it certainly is.

Comment

Working...
                    X