• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extremely boring washing machine question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extremely boring washing machine question

But probably still less dull than all the Scotland threads

Our trusty washer-dryer is giving up the ghost after about 8 years and we need a new one. Looking online, they seem pretty much identical so how do you choose a good one? Is there any difference between a £700 one from LG, a £400 one from Hoover or a £250 Indesit/no-name special - are they all the same underneath anyway?

At least with fridges you can see visible differences but washer-dryers all seem to have similar capacities and other than a shiny touch-screen, what does spending an extra monkey get you? I don't mind spending more if it gets quality but does it?

Sorry for the boring thread. I'll post one about boobies next perhaps.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    But probably still less dull than all the Scotland threads

Our trusty washer-dryer is giving up the ghost after about 8 years and we need a new one. Looking online, they seem pretty much identical so how do you choose a good one? Is there any difference between a £700 one from LG, a £400 one from Hoover or a £250 Indesit/no-name special - are they all the same underneath anyway?

At least with fridges you can see visible differences but washer-dryers all seem to have similar capacities and other than a shiny touch-screen, what does spending an extra monkey get you? I don't mind spending more if it gets quality but does it?

Sorry for the boring thread. I'll post one about boobies next perhaps.
    The usual difference is the quality of internal components. As we have separate a washer and dryer I give any real recommendations but Samsung offer 5 years warranty on their machines (our washing machine is Samsung, the dryer is a cheapo Beko)..

Samsung Ecobubble WD0804W8E Freestanding Washer Dryer - White / Stainless Steel
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

We bought a bosch machine with 10 year warranty, does the triack and I like the fact you don't have to put washing liquid in it every time, you can just pre-fill in and off you go.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

We've had a Miele washer/dryer for about 4 years which has been trouble free.

Comment

We got the Samsung Eco Bubble - the 7kg load variant.

Paid £300 - £400 for it (can't remember exactly) but it was definitely the best deal. It has an excellent energy rating, is quiet and has a 15 minute quick was programme which is great for people like me who never wear the same shirts or troosers 2 days running even if they are not really dirty.

Comment

It used to be a similar choice when buying a car, Fords (et al) were cheap to buy and when they went wrong they were cheap to fix. Nowadays they still go wrong but they're not cheap to fix.
            The brushes on our Hotpoint wore down last week, they are no longer available - neither is the motor, you have to buy a new machine for £400; or you can buy similar brushes and "adapt" them for £6 (guess what I did ).

We also have a Miele elsewhere and that's what we'll be buying again, they're not cheap but they just do the job.

Comment

Bought a LG 7KG Direct Drive 3 years ago and still going strong after cleaning clothes of two babies.

I think I was impressed by the direct drive technology, so less chance of it breaking down?

10y warranty on the DD parts, IIRC.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

I'm often amazed how technology improves and we (for some reason) start lowering our expectation on lifetimes. Appliances really should last no less than 15 years.

We got a el-cheapo ex-display indesit for sub £200. 8 years later still going strong. With kids the machine is used daily. On weekends we use it twice each day.

Our previous hotpoint lasted 15 years before something burnt out inside - after we got the brushes changed. I could have soldered a solution I think but decided to get a new one. I sold the machine for £10 to a repairman so it's probably still running somewhere.

My parents had whirlpool washer and dryer which lasted for over 20 years! I seem to recall the only thing that broke was the belt on the dryer which was easily replaced.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Also it depends on what you expect the life of the appliance to be - I would be happy with 8 years before getting the spanners out

Then you need to weigh up what paying for a premium model will actually give you over the 8 years

FWIW I had Bosch separate washer / dryer which were forever needing spares after I think about 4 years- but they were the low range Bosch models, even so I was surprised at how poor the engineering was once you got inside them
                  BUT at that stage there were 3 kids at home so the washing machine was on pretty much continuously so something to consider is how much it is going to be used

Replaced both the washer & drier with AEG models - without the constant load of 3 kids I expect they will last some time
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                    Bought a LG 7KG Direct Drive 3 years ago and still going strong after cleaning clothes of two babies.

I think I was impressed by the direct drive technology, so less chance of it breaking down?

10y warranty on the DD parts, IIRC.

qh
                    I was considering that but I'm not sure if DD is a gimmick or a real benefit
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X