• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A manifesto for the self-employed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A manifesto for the self-employed

This morning IPSE, the association for Independent Professionals and the Self Employed, launched its new manifesto to a packed press conference...

Copies can be downloaded here.

(For those into the stats, the words "self-employed" feature 91 times; the word "contractor" features five times, including the copyright PCG Ltd statement at the end)
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Their definition of self employed is odd - is that a typo?

Who are the self-employed?
    The self-employed are workers without an employee. One in seven, around 4.6 million, of the UK workforce are now self-employed and this has grown by around 39% since
    2000. The numbers are growing rapidly: 85% of the jobs lost in the recession were
    replaced by self-employed jobs, and the number of those working for themselves is
    expected to exceed those in the public sector by 2016

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Their definition of self employed is odd - is that a typo?
      I wondered that, but I'm sure it's meant to read that way.

If you have enough posts on the IPSE forums, why not ask the question there? I'm sure someone can explain it.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        I wondered that, but I'm sure it's meant to read that way.

If you have enough posts on the IPSE forums, why not ask the question there? I'm sure someone can explain it.
        The only workers without employees are employers aren't they? I'll wander over and ask there.

Comment

Utterly clueless in so many ways but I'll pick just one part to attack

“IPSE suggests a full merger of National Insurance and Income Tax, simplifying the tax system for all. As an interim measure, a new corporate form for independent professionals should be created.”
          Self employed NI is already incredibly simple. You pay £2.70 a week for class 2 and 9% of income between £7,755 and £41,450 with 2% for everything else for class 4.

So its hardly difficult to work out what the final figure should be.

I could agree that merging NI and Income tax has a purpose but considering the model most contractors work under (small income, large dividends via a PSC) the plan will make your current members a lot worse off..
          Last edited by eek; 9 September 2014, 11:47.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Mmm, it all starts to feel a bit much for me. I'm not freelancing to be a martyr - I just want to get my head down, crack on and take home some money. I don't think I'm doing the country any favors.

Comment

Clueless?
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Well, according to the definition, I'm absolutely not self-employed because I run a company which has employees.

I know I would never have described myself as being self-employed (because I'm not), but at least PCG Ltd have just clarified it for me.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Utterly clueless in so many ways but I'll pick just one part to attack

Self employed NI is already incredibly simple. You pay £2.70 a week for class 2 and 9% of income between £7,755 and £41,450 with 2% for everything else for class 4.

So its hardly difficult to work out what the final figure should be.

I could agree that merging NI and Income tax has a purpose but considering the model most contractors work under (small income, large dividends via a PSC) the plan will make your current members a lot worse off..

Is this for real?

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                    Is this for real?
                    Yep its the last part of https://www.ipse.co.uk/news/2014/ips...topia%E2%80%99

Yet people still wonder why I think IPSE is run by a bunch of ous muppets
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X