• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPSE / PCG or FSB

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPSE / PCG or FSB

Well folks. It looks like IPSE has made it clear that they represent the self-employed and not people who run Ltd companies with an employee:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...-employed.html

Has anyone looked into FSB membership (£150 p.a.) as an alternative:

Business Benefits and Services

I'm not sure whether they would be as good at managing an IR35 defence, but perhaps I'm wrong. On the other hand, maybe they're not a bunch of clueless muppets.

Any experience or views?

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Well folks. It looks like IPSE has made it clear that they represent the self-employed and not people who run Ltd companies with an employee:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...-employed.html

Has anyone looked into FSB membership (£150 p.a.) as an alternative:

Business Benefits and Services

I'm not sure whether they would be as good at managing an IR35 defence, but perhaps I'm wrong. On the other hand, maybe they're not a bunch of ous .

Any experience or views?
    Ftfy as I prefer the mental image...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Ftfy as I prefer the mental image...
      I don't know about paying a whole lot for academics and PR people to come up with these changes but they could have cribbed that manifesto from the last 5 Labour manifestos and had change from 10 bob (oops not a good measure I guess).

I wonder if the membership will realise that they will pay lots more tax for the privilege.

Comment

Any experience or views?
        In terms of the additional insurances that you get from IPSE+, then they are the better option - eg. the business interruption protection policy which pays out for jury duty, sickness, time spent with HMRC, client / agency bankruptcy and so forth looks quite cheap. They are also benefits that the FSB don't offer - you get £100 a day for jury duty interruption but that's a lot less than the IPSE membership gives.

FSB protection also categorically states that they won't fight anything to do with IR35 for you, whereas IPSE will (although whether the IPSE offering will be as unconditional as the PCG one was remains to be seen - will they help someone who is a "self-employed, disguised permie operating via a limited company because their employer makes them work that way or they have no job" to fight an IR35 investigation? I hope not, but it's not been reflected in the membership details yet).

The numbers of members who have told IPSE that they won't be renewing their membership is very, very, very low. Whether that remains true and / or the numbers of leavers will be more than replaced with the vast swathes of self-employed people who join up, only time will tell.

In short, if you want IR35 protection, then you either want to be going with IPSE or Qdos. If you want a lobbying organisation representing you (and I appreciate that not everyone will always feel that their own viewpoint is reflected in a large organisation), then you could really be either FSB or IPSE. If you want reasonably-priced business interruption insurance, then you want to be with IPSE.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          In terms of the additional insurances that you get from IPSE+, then they are the better option - eg. the business interruption protection policy which pays out for jury duty, sickness, time spent with HMRC, client / agency bankruptcy and so forth looks quite cheap. They are also benefits that the FSB don't offer - you get £100 a day for jury duty interruption but that's a lot less than the IPSE membership gives.

FSB protection also categorically states that they won't fight anything to do with IR35 for you, whereas IPSE will (although whether the IPSE offering will be as unconditional as the PCG one was remains to be seen - will they help someone who is a "self-employed, disguised permie operating via a limited company because their employer makes them work that way or they have no job" to fight an IR35 investigation? I hope not, but it's not been reflected in the membership details yet).

The numbers of members who have told IPSE that they won't be renewing their membership is very, very, very low. Whether that remains true and / or the numbers of leavers will be more than replaced with the vast swathes of self-employed people who join up, only time will tell.

In short, if you want IR35 protection, then you either want to be going with IPSE or Qdos. If you want a lobbying organisation representing you (and I appreciate that not everyone will always feel that their own viewpoint is reflected in a large organisation), then you could really be either FSB or IPSE. If you want reasonably-priced business interruption insurance, then you want to be with IPSE.
          I'll stick with it for the insurance and continue to snipe from the sidelines.

Comment

I'll stick with it for the insurance and continue to snipe from the sidelines.
            That's just based on my quick thoughts - I was looking at the FSB website this morning to see what they offered.

Of course, if you aren't happy with the direction that IPSE are taking, you could get more involved in how the executive and the board are taking things.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

That's just based on my quick thoughts - I was looking at the FSB website this morning to see what they offered.

Of course, if you aren't happy with the direction that IPSE are taking, you could get more involved in how the executive and the board are taking things.
              Props to you if you can but I suspect the lure of 'gold in them thar self employed hills' is too much! If there is too much traction gained in this respect, no right minded organisation is going to turn away new money members however much it alienates old members.

Comment

So you are 100% happy with IPSE lobbying to decrease your take home pay by 9% by merging income tax with NI....
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'm not sure that's what my life needs right now, so I'll constituent sniping, which at least gives me a degree of satisfaction.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    So you are 100% happy with IPSE lobbying to decrease your take home pay by 9% by merging income tax with NI....
                    Whether I am a member or not, IPSE will lobby in the direction that they are currently going. That's a fact - unless there are new members on the council and the board who can influence in a different direction, then they will continue down the path that they are going.

Where can I get insurance which covers the IPSE offering for a similar price, though?
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                    X