• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Something typically English

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something typically English

So I'm WFH this week but head out back to Bonn next week. I've really struck up quite a good relationship with the Germans. To the point that we're lending each other DVDs, and stuff like that.
    The Germans are really lovely, and have a serious sense of tradition, something that I feel is getting lost here in the UK with our general way of life.

For example, it was on chap's birthday. So he baked a cake and brought it in. Then people were at pains to drop in from far flung offices, give him a hug or a handshake and then sample some of this now famous cake. Then naturally tell him how nice it was.

If I'm lucky someone slings some shop bought cakes on their desk, sends an email and people schlep over and grab a handful. I'm sure we do stuff that's equally nice, but in different ways.

I must admit when he asked me if I wanted a slice of "cold dog" I first assumed my German was still iffy. But it seems this is what the cake is called.

So when I fly there next week I want to take some gifts, something typically English.

Can I have sensible suggestions please, for something that rings true English, but without being over the top. Must fit in a suitcase, and survive the baggage handlers delicate touch.

TIA
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

A bottle of HP Brown Sauce
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      So I'm WFH this week but head out back to Bonn next week. I've really struck up quite a good relationship with the Germans. To the point that we're lending each other DVDs, and stuff like that.
      The Germans are really lovely, and have a serious sense of tradition, something that I feel is getting lost here in the UK with our general way of life.

For example, it was on chap's birthday. So he baked a cake and brought it in. Then people were at pains to drop in from far flung offices, give him a hug or a handshake and then sample some of this now famous cake. Then naturally tell him how nice it was.

If I'm lucky someone slings some shop bought cakes on their desk, sends an email and people schlep over and grab a handful. I'm sure we do stuff that's equally nice, but in different ways.

I must admit when he asked me if I wanted a slice of "cold dog" I first assumed my German was still iffy. But it seems this is what the cake is called.

So when I fly there next week I want to take some gifts, something typically English.

Can I have sensible suggestions please, for something that rings true English, but without being over the top. Must fit in a suitcase, and survive the baggage handlers delicate touch.

TIA
      I hope you're not lending out any DVDs from Mrs suity's collection. They're an open minded lot but there are limits.

But enough of such banter. How about a couple of whole small cheeses in wax: a truckle or something, and maybe a Stilton as well. And some fancy crackers that you can get from a good deli or cheese shop. And perhaps an accompaniment like a damson cheese (Waitrose IIRC) so something like that.

Comment

When visiting a friend in California who had asked for something quintessentially British I took Marmite. He took one taste and chucked it.

On the same trip I took a bottle of Welsh whisky to another friend (maybe these people are all now ex-friends).

The moral of this story is if you have even the slightest suspicion that the gift you are taking is shyte then it certainly will be.

Could you (or Mrs S) bake a traditional cake? I dunno - bakewell tart or something?

Comment

Spam.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Everton Mints
            English Whisky

HTH
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Black pudding
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Ale or gin. Buy it over there if too heavy for your luggage. Pork scratchings to go with it - the proper ones with the hairs sticking out.

Comment

Shortbread.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Black pudding
                    You want me to take BlutWurst as something typically English

Thanks for trying though
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X