• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Subtotal without subtotalling?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subtotal without subtotalling?

I have a huge amount of data in a spreadsheet which has 5 workbooks all linked to each other - I need to subtotal a column according to when a reference changes in another column, in two workbooks, without using subtotal (have tried it and Excel falls over). I have a feeling that a simple IF/SUM function should work but I cannot work it out and now I have a headache - can anyone help
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    I have a huge amount of data in a spreadsheet which has 5 workbooks all linked to each other - I need to subtotal a column according to when a reference changes in another column, in two workbooks, without using subtotal (have tried it and Excel falls over). I have a feeling that a simple IF/SUM function should work but I cannot work it out and now I have a headache - can anyone help
    Paracetamol

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

What if you copied the spreadsheet values (not forumulas) to another sheet and then did a SUBTOTAL?
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I think you need to use the SUMIF formula to hold the result of the sum of certain cells that match against a particular contents of a cell.

Google it...
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
            What if you copied the spreadsheet values (not forumulas) to another sheet and then did a SUBTOTAL?
            Unfortunately the formulas need to remain

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
              I think you need to use the SUMIF formula to hold the result of the sum of certain cells that match against a particular contents of a cell.

Google it...
              Google is usually brilliant for this sort of stuff but haven't been able to find what I need and yes I think you're right about SUMIF being part of the calc - just not sure what the rest of it should be - never mind will take my paracetamol and plough on

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

never mind will take my paracetamol and plough on
                Your welcome.

Comment

If it's a one-off and you suspect it's just excel crashing, I'd try doing the same
                  on Libreoffice or openoffice to see if they work any better.

Comment

Lisa

Can you provide a sample spreadsheet of this (without any real data of course)?

Alternatively, get the formula working on a smaller amount of data then see if it crashes on the main lot?

Martin
                    Contratax Ltd

Comment

Working...
                    X